PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 1 2 3 4 5
Lunitari0
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 9,002

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday January 17, 2009 3:25 PM
QUOTED  Posted By nanuk on 01.07.2009 2:20 PM]

Am reading Charmaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series (I think they're officially called 'The Vampire something or other' series, but I don't really care).

Had never heard of them before watching True Blood, started reading the first out of boredom, and am now midway through the fifth in two days (day ff yesterday, and up till 2 reading both last night and the night before, lol).

Now, I will readily confess that part of the attraction of the books, especially the fourth, which I was reading last night, are some naughty bits involving a 6'4 blond, blue-eyed Viking Vampire which have me swooning and desperately wanting to book a flight going anywhere generally Northern European (watch out, Scraps), but they're also just good fun to read, and had me laughing out loud at a couple of points (okay, maybe those bits mainly involved said viking vamp, but I can't help it, I'm smitten- and I don't normally go for arrogance, lol).

A lot of the mythos of it is fairly standard stuff, recognisable to anyone who has ever heard of a vampire or werewolf, but that doesn't make it any less interesting.

I was a little distracted at first, as I generally dislike FP narratives, and this one is told from the POV of a young, Louisiana-living barmaid that I don't really have anything in common with, but you warm to Sookie (an unfortunate name, considering) quite easily, and she's spunky enough that that quickly turns to admiration.

So, yeah. Even if Eric (*drools*) alone doesn't float your boat, though I can't imagine how he wouldn't, they're worth a read.

Nuk - once again, you gave me a reason to love you! I love "True Blood AND The Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire books so much! I'm current looking for them in an Audio Book format download.

Currently, I'm currently reading (listening to) "Eclipse" the 3rd Book in the Twilight Saga.

My Tumblr - My Contact Information and Gaming Contact Information can be found here, as well as my Writing and Editing Commission Resume. -smiles-
 Message #330998 - This was a reply to message #330859
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday January 18, 2009 4:05 AM
Pendulum, a collection of A.E van Vogt's short stories.varying quality, but mostly fun.

Have put "Look to windard" aside for the moment.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #331008 - This was a reply to message #330998
Aeramae

Ordo Aer: Scholar
RK: 10
MP: 3,280

Sunday January 18, 2009 6:44 AM
Got done reading Stephen King's short novel collection "Just After Sunset" about a week ago, and now, thanks to an insanely late Christmas present from my father & step mother in law, I am now ready "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain.
Leader of the Amazonian Army, and fighter for the Female Initiative.

Bitchy since 1999.
 Message #331015 - This was a reply to message #331008
nanuk

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,373

Wednesday January 21, 2009 6:34 AM
QUOTED  Great! Someone else who was not impressed with "Wuthering Heights".

As (pretty much) always, dearheart, we are of a mind.
It didn't help that I also had WH inflicted on me in school as part of the coursework, but even without that drawback I hated it. Sometimes a locked gate is just a fucking locked gate. And a pair of completely loathsome main characters do not an epic romantic couple make.

QUOTED  Mistress, if you really need to read vampire fiction, go find Tanith Lee's Scarabae series.

I thought we'd talked about this before... I've read Personal Darkness, and loved it (soooo refreshing), but wasn't able to find the other two. May have to swipe someone's credit card...

QUOTED  Warn you, I did. Listen, you did not.... the only good thing from the whole series was poor Jacob...

Yes! Jake for any pitiful win manageable in this awful, awful world.
I somehow managed to completely bypass your warning
To my everlasting dismay. Finished them, finally, thank the powers. Awful. Renesmee? Seriously? Worst name (and plot device) ever.

QUOTED  Nuk - once again, you gave me a reason to love you!

As if either of us needed another reason to love each other

Am thrilled True Blood's gotten a second season (espec as season 1 was pretty much only book 1- more Eric after that ).

I managed to find, let me see, from Dead to Worse audio book on Mininova. It's... okay, so far. The woman doing it (name escapes me) takes a little getting useful, and it's certainly not as great as James Marsters reading the Dresden Files books, but it's not bad.
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

"You know what I'm saying."
 Message #331059 - This was a reply to message #330960
TheShadowlord

Friday January 23, 2009 1:12 AM
Will start on van Vogt's "DEstination: Universe" soon.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #331075 - This was a reply to message #331059
TheShadowlord

Monday January 26, 2009 5:00 AM
Actually, I will read "THe Children of Hurin" instead.
After many hurt looks and 'off the cuff remarks' about how she got the book for my birthday more than a year ago and I still havne't read it, I am reading the book I got from my girlfriend.
"About time" she said when I opened it.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #331102 - This was a reply to message #331075
TheShadowlord

Wednesday January 28, 2009 6:45 AM
Just bought and read Matthew Stover's latest Star Wars book "Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor"
He takes some not-so-subtle shots at the cheesiness of this title and other elements in his previous SW books.
It's his worst book to date, SW or non-SW, but that's kind of like saying 'Pratchett's worst book to date' - doesn't actually mean it's bad.
It's not. It's good. It's set 6 months after Endor and shows rare talent for writing about the heroes of the OT. They come across as real characters, not stereotypes. They are true to the characters shown in the movies. They have strengths and weaknesses.

And Luke comes across as powerful, but not perfect. He like his father has a great talent for the Force, but he lacks the training to use it to its fullest potential. He's shown to have moments of doubt and despair without being emo (a rare occurance in modern books, it seems). He is shown to have a problem with his greatest skills.

The less good is the reintroduction of characters from one of Stover's other SW books, "Shatterpoint". There really was no reason to have them in there other than that was what Stover wanted. One of them went from being one of the coolest Darksiders ever to being an annoying element.

spoiler:

just to give you an example of Luke's strength and character he pilots a disintegrating capital ship to a planet surface through a storm of enemy ships and fire and asteroids on nothing but attitude thrusters. Deliberately harknening back to Anakin Skywalker's feat in RotS.
He prevents the Millenium Falcon from crashing by telekinetically halting its momentum (and that's a shit-load of momentum). He can shoot dozens of incoming bombs and missiles while using the Force to guide others to land where he wants them to. And all this is done with the comment 'it's not what he's best at'
What he is best at, it seems, is "with a single act, a single choice, killing thousands upon thousands of people".
Try living with that when you want to be a good Jedi.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #331129 - This was a reply to message #330719
Nix

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 448

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday February 2, 2009 10:42 PM
Gust Front by John Ringo

Hordes of aliens? Check.

Bitchin' Hardware? Check

Hordes of aliens being buttered by the hardware? Check.

Fredricksberg, VA destroyed by a Fuel-Air Explosion? Check.
-This message brought to you by Nix, Mercenary to the Grammar Nazi regime
My gaming groups new motto: Wet the Sock! (Not as dirty as it sounds)
 Message #331169 - This was a reply to message #331129
TheShadowlord

Tuesday February 3, 2009 9:04 AM
I got a bit tired of those books. For a guy who is supposed to specialize in military SF, he has some silly ideas.

"The Dragon Masters" by Jack Vance.
The only Vance book I could find on my most recent trip over the pond. It's like he (and many other awesome writers like Tanith Lee) do not exist in bookstores in the US.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #331170 - This was a reply to message #331169
Airiana

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,628

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday February 3, 2009 12:21 PM
Black Powder War by Naomi Novik. Third in her Temeraire series. Very good series so far!
Serenity isn't freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.

Avatar created by Amanda "Drak" Diaz for Airiana
 Message #331173 - This was a reply to message #330719

Listing 11 to 20 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 1 2 3 4 5