PAGES: 42 1 2 3 4 5
TheShadowlord
What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday December 29, 2008 1:03 AM
Got tired of the old thread. Time for a new one.

Have finished AE van Vogt's "Darkness on Diamondia". A bit confusing, not really great. Not his best work.
"The Dangerous Alphabet" and "the Graveyard book" by Neil Gaiman. Great as (nearly) always.
Reading "Legend of the Burning Sands" RPG - spin-off companion to "Legend of the Five Rings" game, and still working on Tanith Lee's "Book of the Damned"
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #330719
nanuk
RE: What are you reading now? IIII

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,373

Wednesday January 7, 2009 2:20 PM
Am reading Charmaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series (I think they're officially called 'The Vampire something or other' series, but I don't really care).

Had never heard of them before watching True Blood, started reading the first out of boredom, and am now midway through the fifth in two days (day ff yesterday, and up till 2 reading both last night and the night before, lol).

Now, I will readily confess that part of the attraction of the books, especially the fourth, which I was reading last night, are some naughty bits involving a 6'4 blond, blue-eyed Viking Vampire which have me swooning and desperately wanting to book a flight going anywhere generally Northern European (watch out, Scraps), but they're also just good fun to read, and had me laughing out loud at a couple of points (okay, maybe those bits mainly involved said viking vamp, but I can't help it, I'm smitten- and I don't normally go for arrogance, lol).

A lot of the mythos of it is fairly standard stuff, recognisable to anyone who has ever heard of a vampire or werewolf, but that doesn't make it any less interesting.

I was a little distracted at first, as I generally dislike FP narratives, and this one is told from the POV of a young, Louisiana-living barmaid that I don't really have anything in common with, but you warm to Sookie (an unfortunate name, considering) quite easily, and she's spunky enough that that quickly turns to admiration.

So, yeah. Even if Eric (*drools*) alone doesn't float your boat, though I can't imagine how he wouldn't, they're worth a read.

QUOTED  "The Dangerous Alphabet"

Got it as a lovely Christmas gift, and have resolved to enjoy it very, very slowly.

Also got the Collectors' ed. of the Tales of Beedle the Bard. Even if you don't like Harry Potter this is a bloody awesome edition. I spend an unhealthy amount of time just stroking it and breathing in its scent...

It has a little metal clasp...
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

"You know what I'm saying."
 Message #330859 - This was a reply to message #330719
TheShadowlord

Thursday January 8, 2009 2:33 AM
Finished LBS. Makes me sad I haven't the time to play everythign I want to.

Nearly done with Book of the Damned. Lee's Paradise books are definitely some of her better ones. Not quite Tales of the Flat Earth good, but better than Lionwolf or Unicorn.

Will soon start on Iain Banks' "Look to windward" Another Culture book. I've heard good stuff about him but was thoroughly unimpressed by "Use of weapons" which many claim is his best.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #330867 - This was a reply to message #330859
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday January 8, 2009 12:17 PM
Recently finished reading The Blue Sword by Robin Mckinley, and I was highly pleased to find it was every bit as good as it was when I read it back in the day as a youngin'.

Now reading In The Hall of the Dragonking by Stephen R. Lawhead at my sister's urging. Well, trying to read it anyway - I've been reading too much modern fantasy that slogging through any more traditional Tolkienish stuff is making my head hurt. It seems to be interesting enough, if cliche, though as always Lawhead's weird little celtic-christian theme is irritating. Must resist the temptation to ditch it and re-read the Blue Sword...

QUOTED  Am reading Charmaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series (I think they're officially called 'The Vampire something or other' series, but I don't really care).

I've started them a few times, but I never seem to be able to get very far into the first book - I think it's the fact there's a vampire named Bill. That's just wrong on so many levels. Also, though I usually don't mind FP, Sookie was irritating, felt too much like a generic Mary Sue.
Would you say the books are worth another shot?
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #330895 - This was a reply to message #330867
nanuk

Saturday January 10, 2009 8:42 AM
QUOTED  I think it's the fact there's a vampire named Bill. That's just wrong on so many levels. Also, though I usually don't mind FP, Sookie was irritating, felt too much like a generic Mary Sue.
Would you say the books are worth another shot?

Yeah, Vampire Bill... he drifts out of them a little so it's not so much of a factor. Though there's a Vampire Pam... and very briefly a Jodi and a Cindy Lou...

Yeah initially she reads very Mary Sue but she gets quite likeable as you read more- stays kind of MSish in that pretty much every male in it is all over her, but the story's kind of interesting enough that it's not too much of a turn off.

I just finished the eighth, and even though there has been a distinct dearth of viking shenanigans since book 4 I was still entertained, lol.

Am considering starting the Twilight books, but as all of my twelve year old students keep telling me how great they are ("No, seriously Miss, if you don't read it I'm not going to talk to you anymore") I don't know if my ego will allow it.
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #330924 - This was a reply to message #330895
TheShadowlord

Thursday January 15, 2009 3:16 AM
Have read "Lost DEstiny" last in the Blood of Kerensky trilogy by M Stackpole for Battletech. Good to finally finish it. I hate leaving unfinished trilogies because I can't find the nex book.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #330951 - This was a reply to message #330924
nanuk

Thursday January 15, 2009 2:21 PM
I am, against all common sense, reading the Stephenie Meyers Twilight books.

Ugh.

They're awful.

Besides the fact that the woman uses nowhere near enough adjectives (it's ridiculous!) Bella as a protagonist is even more hateful than Kathy in Wuthering Heights, and considering how much I hated her that's saying a lot. There is nothing redeeming about her. I believe the word I used, when I unleashed a rant today on an unexpecting student who tried to argue that the books were 'great', was 'weenie'. She's not even deserving of good swear words. She is insipid and beyond wallflowery, and the very worst type of Mary Sue. All the young males in her vicinity of course love her for absolutely no discernible reason, when they are considerably more interesting and characterful than her.

Ugh. It's infuriating. It's like... ugh, it's like... she's (Meyers) provokes the same reaction from me as Anne Rice, except she's the opposite of Rice's horribly florid style. Awful, awful unlikeable, whiny, dreary, personality-less protagonists in Louis and Bella, for some reason infatuating potentially (if they weren't so lazily stereotyped) interesting characters. Ridiculous 'plots' and poor in-story logic.

Ugh.

And I'm halfway through the third one! I want to stop, but think I just want to get them over and done with so I can banish them from my life and recollection.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #330954 - This was a reply to message #330951
TheShadowlord

Friday January 16, 2009 1:56 AM
Great! Someone else who was not impressed with "Wuthering Heights".
The best thing to come out of that was MP's semaphore version.

Mistress, if you really need to read vampire fiction, go find Tanith Lee's Scarabae series.
"Personal Darkness", "Dark Dance" and "Darkness, I".

[[Edited by TheShadowlord on Friday January 16, 2009 1:58 AM]]

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #330960 - This was a reply to message #330954
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday January 16, 2009 6:13 PM
QUOTED  I am, against all common sense, reading the Stephenie Meyers Twilight books.
Ugh.
They're awful.

Warn you, I did. Listen, you did not.

They're flat-out painful - the only good thing from the whole series was poor Jacob. (real men don't sparkle, you emo, mincing, control-freak, emotionally abusive emo bitch, Edward!)

QUOTED  I believe the word I used, when I unleashed a rant today on an unexpecting student who tried to argue that the books were 'great', was 'weenie'

I had a twenty-five year old professor waxing poetic about them a few weeks back. I was so stunned and horrified that I stood there blankly, which she took for approval and proceeded to rhapsodize about them.
Why, god, why?!

Recently finished "Rose Madder" and "The Dead Zone" by Stephen King.

Rose Madder was pretty good - not my favorite, but far from his worst. Norman was a great character to hate, and Rose was likeable. Squeal out loud when they were talking about the fall of the Great City of Lud, the leaders strung up from light poles. Also had a squee moment when Cynthia from Desperation was introduced - no wonder she was so effing weird.

Really liked the Dead Zone, though. I used to watch the TV show, so I had a basis for it, but the book was quite different. Johnny's probably made my list of favorite SK characters, the poor guy. The ethics question it presented was very interesting, and I thought it was handled well. Though, at the end with Johnny laying on the floor dying I was almost in tears. Poor, poor bastard. I'm going to need to find the show and re-watch it to cheer myself up with the horrible-brain-tumor-lacking version of him.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #330985 - This was a reply to message #330960
Kitiara

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,452

Friday January 16, 2009 8:05 PM
Reading Brisingr, which to my surprise really isn't as bad as some on here made it out to be. Okay, he gets a bit flowery with his scene-painting, but it's really quite readable. I'm pissed off that he's turned it into a cycle though. I was really hanging out for some resolution.
Anyone you can describe as chipper is to be avoided. You never know when they'll crack. Eventually, they're gonna start gnawing on the nearest thing they can, whether it's a hood ornament or wristwatch, wrist still attached; a moment when that uniform they've made for themselves breaks down and they fall to pieces, right out of it. Give me the life-haters any day. They'll play you straight. -Oobie
 Message #330987 - This was a reply to message #330985

Listing 1 to 10 of 418 Replies

PAGES: 42 1 2 3 4 5