A Dance with Dragons
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: A Dance with Dragons

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 41 to 46 of 46 Replies

PAGES: 5 1 2 3 4 5
Damien
RE: A Dance with Dragons

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus
RK: 16
MP: 10,266

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday June 14, 2012 8:02 AM
Song of Ice and Fire could be dangerous in how ambitious it is. You hate to suggest it because you don't want it to happen - but we could end up with yet another book series where the series doesn't end because the author does. GRRM says he has at LEAST two more books to write for this series. So here's to his good health, right?

I love the series, myself. Easily the best fiction I've ever read in a lot of ways. I'd also highly recommend Martin's anthologies (as editor, although Warriors has a great story of his in it, set in Westeros). I'm also in the middle of Fevre Dream right now and I'd highly recommend that, too.
American by birth. Anti-Christ by choice.
"My god has a bigger dick than your god."

"Tolerance is the policy of those men who no longer believe in anything."
 Message #341008 - This was a reply to message #340990
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday June 15, 2012 3:57 PM
"Fevre Dream" was ok, but not anything like a Fantasy Masterwork (it was in Gollanz' Fantasy Masterworks series, which is how I came across it and lots of other true masterpieces and not-so-masterful pieces).
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341013 - This was a reply to message #341008
Damien

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus
RK: 16
MP: 10,266

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday June 19, 2012 4:23 AM
I'm liking Fevre Dream so far. Definitely wouldn't go so far as to say it's a masterwork, but it's enjoyable.

I really did love the Warriors and Songs of Love and Death collections. Not all the stories were even worth reading, but the ones that were worthwhile were better than average, in my opinion. Oddly, I'm also finding myself getting into the Warhammer 40k books. I've always been a fan of the setting (and the tabletop wargame), but I never read any of the books before recently. They're fun.
American by birth. Anti-Christ by choice.
"My god has a bigger dick than your god."

"Tolerance is the policy of those men who no longer believe in anything."
 Message #341025 - This was a reply to message #341013
TheShadowlord

MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday June 19, 2012 9:45 PM
I've often wondered about getting into them, but I have so much else to read. But I might just pick up some of Dan Abnett's stuff because I hear from everyone who'se read him that he's darn good.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341032 - This was a reply to message #341025
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday June 20, 2012 1:24 AM
I really liked Fevre Dream. Masterwork is debatable, but it's a nicely done period piece.

The Warhammer 40k books are actually pretty great, from what I've read of them. As enjoyable as the wargame, half as expensive.

To slightly wrench this back on topic... I'm hoping the HBO show will light a fire underneath the man to write faster, at least a bit. Supposedly he's told the people behind the show how he intends to end the books so they know what to do if he croaks. And if he keeps taking these five year breaks between books, that seems pretty likely. Seriously. Two years between Game and Clash, two years between Clash and Storm, then suddenly... five frigging years? Six, for Dance? It's like he's got stage fright now that someone actually wants to give him money and attention.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341040 - This was a reply to message #341032
Lich_Nexus

MP: 7,037

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday June 21, 2012 11:13 PM
A co-worker brought in A Feast of Ice and Fire: The Official Game of Thrones Companion Cookbook and showed it to me. Fucking bad-ass... Dornish rattlesnake!

[[Edited by Lich_Nexus on Thursday June 21, 2012 11:21 PM]]
Pierced from below, souls of my trecherous past
Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

The Classical Greeks were not influenced by the Classical Greeks!
 Message #341050 - This was a reply to message #341040

Listing 41 to 46 of 46 Replies

PAGES: 5 1 2 3 4 5