PAGES: 6 2 3 4 5 6
AnimusAniKorSaxcian
RE: Favorite Author

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 488

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday September 16, 2006 10:25 AM
ANyone have any notable authors who right satire type novels??? I am interested in reading more stories like Brave New World, 1984, and V for Vendetta.
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #302322 - This was a reply to message #300713
hector

Ordo Aqua: Scholar
RK: 4
MP: 657

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday September 17, 2006 5:38 AM
QUOTED  ANyone have any notable authors who right satire type novels??? I am interested in reading more stories like Brave New World, 1984, and V for Vendetta.

Hmm... I don't think the novels and the graphic novel you mentioned are not satire. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't satire meant to be humorous and ironic? Brave New World, 1984, V for Vendetta, Fahrenheit 451 yadda yadda ... they are dead serious (though V has its moments), gloomy and all are about dystopias (and great, except Fahrenheit 451, which I didn't like).
"It's not pinin', it's passed on! This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace, if you hadn't nailed it to the perch it would be pushing up the daisies! It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! This is an ex-parrot!"
~The Dead Parrot
 Message #302400 - This was a reply to message #302322
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Monday September 18, 2006 10:25 AM
Tha twas my original thought, yet a teacher told me Satire was where they fit in. She defined Satire as what those books are. If ya have a better name I will begin using it instead.
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #302489 - This was a reply to message #302400
hector

Monday September 18, 2006 12:10 PM
So I moved my lazy ass and did a little research and you are right

I mean I can see why Animal Farm is satire, but 1984?
Anyway, despite my confusion, apparently satire does not have to be humorous - irony does not presuppose humor, after all.

This is becoming off topic, but, if you're into comics (which you must, considering you've read V for Vendetta) I'd say check out Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again by Frank Miller. I think you'll like it.

Returning to topic: My favorite author would be Neil Gaiman and Jeanette Winterson. I can't really explain but when I read the question, these two were the first to pop up in my mind.

[[Edited by hector on Monday September 18, 2006 12:15 PM]]
"It's not pinin', it's passed on! This parrot is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace, if you hadn't nailed it to the perch it would be pushing up the daisies! It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! This is an ex-parrot!"
~The Dead Parrot
 Message #302499 - This was a reply to message #302489
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Wednesday September 20, 2006 8:35 PM
Am infact reading the V for Vendetta Graphic Novel as we speak. I will check it out.

What does Winterson write????

Message #302776 - This was a reply to message #302499
hector

Wednesday September 20, 2006 11:44 PM
Jeanette Winterson's novels "explore the boundaries of physicality and the imagination, gender polarities, and sexual identities." (from wikipedia)

Her first ever novel Oranges are not the Only Fruit was ... well, mesmerizing. A young girl is adapted by missionaries and she herself believes that she is fated to be one. As she ages, she discovers she is a lesbian and becomes subject to various acts of "exorcism." Another of her novels, the Passion, still haunts me to this day. It is of the genre "magic realism" and reminds of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's books (specifically One Hundred Years of Solitude)
~The Dead Parrot
 Message #302778 - This was a reply to message #302776
Graffiti

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,248

Friday April 11, 2008 7:09 AM
Jack Vance is definitely top on my list, his writing makes me melt, its so elegant, but concise and dynamic. His plots are a beauty of complex social interacting as well as detailed settings and backrounds. Highly reccomended.

Also a big fan of Gaiman, American Gods and the Sandman series in particular.

I find Hemingway fascinating as well, so far, I loved the Old Man and the Sea, and Im loving For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Im a pretty big fan of Kurt Vonnegut, Ive read almost every book hes written, except the posthumous one.
Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help, help, I'm being repressed!
 Message #325557 - This was a reply to message #302778
ZombieKiller13

MP: 790

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday April 11, 2008 9:58 AM
S. M. Stirling - mainly his Emberverse series cause it kicks ass

Stephen King - I have read ALL of his books

J. R. R. Tolkien - of course. Any nerd who doesn't like Tolkien should be kicked in the face

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time fucking ROCKS

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of the greatest series' of all time. I need to read his other books

George Orwell - All I've read is 1984 but I freaking loved it
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake. = Still Alive - GLaDOS - Portal

If he gets up we'll all get up! It'll be anarchy! - Bender - The Breakfast Club

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
 Message #325560 - This was a reply to message #325557
Briarthorn

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 2

Sunday November 23, 2008 12:38 AM
Keven J. Anderson atm. I've only read his Saga of the Seven Suns (which is all I intend to read of his atm) which I loved completely. Right from about halfway through the first book to the end of the seventh. It took me a while to get into it because it jumps from character to character. There were chars I loved from the first moment til the end, Mainly King Peter (Raymond) and others who I just felt for, Patrick Fitzpatrick. I wish the series went for longer but oh well xD. Prolly the main thing I love from the series is how he was able to raise so many feelings with such few descriptions.

Otherwise I've always loved Tamora Pierce, Esp. the Trickster series.
Obsessed with saying, "Where is he!", after watching The Dark Knight. You know it's just before the bit where Batman rips an arm off some guy.

Briarthorn, AKA, ymv, vivi (back on me home site), Celarious.
 Message #330221 - This was a reply to message #325560
Gaaras_Gurl17

Initiare
RK: 1
MP: 35

Sunday September 6, 2009 9:09 PM
I like alot of authors... but the one I'd have to say if Avi.
 Message #334551 - This was a reply to message #330221

Listing 31 to 40 of 59 Replies

PAGES: 6 2 3 4 5 6