Favorite Author
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Favorite Author

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 59 Replies

PAGES: 6 1 2 3 4 5
Silveran
RE: Favorite Author

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday February 18, 2005 10:28 PM
My favorite author is Robert Heinlein.

He used his writing to point out problems with our society (at the time...some has been fixed...but much of it is still fucked up). I appreciate his style and the use of real science and math when possible to explain the technology and science of his works. Granted, a lot of his stuff is now dated, but it is still great work.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #260802 - This was a reply to message #260483
goddess_dawn

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,249

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday February 21, 2005 10:35 AM
QUOTED  Always felt that whenever Salvator's doing trilogies, the first book tends to be the best one.

well i have the hunter's blade trilogy but i haven't started to read it yet. i am so burned out with his writing i don't want to start them.
Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love - you think this happens every day?

i'm going sane in a crazy world.....
before you insult someone, you should first walk a mile in their shoes.

That way when you insult them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
 Message #260989 - This was a reply to message #260483
dedhorse

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,991

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday February 21, 2005 11:20 PM
Burnt out, yet you still get his books. The guy's like crack I tells yous.
all your wretched years, all your weeping... and your joy unbound.
go down, be burned - rise again.
 Message #261083 - This was a reply to message #260989
eswiftfire

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 8,256

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday February 22, 2005 10:09 AM
Great thing I gave up on him completely after Passage To Dawn (last Drizzt book I read) and the second Demon War book (probably the last Salvatore book I've ever read)
 Message #261118 - This was a reply to message #261083
Arandur

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 983

Wednesday February 23, 2005 4:29 AM
QUOTED  Great thing I gave up on him completely after Passage To Dawn (last Drizzt book I read) and the second Demon War book (probably the last Salvatore book I've ever read)

Damn you got that far swifty?? I read the Original trilogy and the underdark one and then tried to read the 7th but it was so repetitive by then I had to put the damn thing down. Tried to read another a few years later, but tossed it away with disgust as soon as I read something about redneck, inbred wizards riding battle-frogs or some such nonsensical bullshit fighting the drow...

Arandur
I hereby reclaim this thread in the name of Dark Emperor Chung. All bow before his benevolent gaze or suffer his wrath and be slapped to death with a drunken french lobster. The RPGC will ALWAYS belong to the loyalist faction.

Arandur, Bearer of the Wooden Paddle of Retribution and Keeper of Emperor Chung's Swear-Word Jar
 Message #261223 - This was a reply to message #261118
goddess_dawn

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,249

Wednesday February 23, 2005 8:13 AM
QUOTED  Burnt out, yet you still get his books. The guy's like crack I tells yous.

*laughs* actually i got the books before i was burnt out. and i had two of the trilogy (Hunter's Blade) and i didn't want to have an incomplete set... yeah OCD i know i know.....

but i have no desire to read them. i was in the middle of the WOTSQ series and really enjoyed it until someone *glances around* said "oooooo...check out GRR Martin"then i had to go and read all three books so i could suffer with the rest of his fans for book 4...
Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love - you think this happens every day?

i'm going sane in a crazy world.....
before you insult someone, you should first walk a mile in their shoes.

That way when you insult them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
 Message #261225 - This was a reply to message #261083
eswiftfire

Ordo Nocturnus

Thursday February 24, 2005 11:43 PM
Well, I was 14. That was when I was stupid enough to try collect all Dragonlance books in existence and convince myself that they were good, so Drizzt books were just another alternative. Hell, back then, I liked the first Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth book too. (and went off to buy the next four sequels)
 Message #261395 - This was a reply to message #261223
Shallandra

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Aer: Savant
RK: 11
MP: 4,650

Friday February 25, 2005 8:59 AM
QUOTED  Hell, back then, I liked the first Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth book too. (and went off to buy the next four sequels)

Ugh, I just re-read that book, and then remembered why I'd managed to forget everything that was in it! Someone told me Terry Goodkind was really good, but that Sword of Truth book had some weird twists & turns. I can't imagine reading anything else in that series!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti

"Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet." ~ Chinese Proverb

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." ~ G.K. Chesterton
 Message #261416 - This was a reply to message #261395
eswiftfire

Ordo Nocturnus

Friday February 25, 2005 12:05 PM
... well, at least it had some sex scenes.

But other than that, I can't think of anything positive to say about the series anymore.
 Message #261423 - This was a reply to message #261416
Suzine

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 513

Saturday February 26, 2005 6:38 AM
My favorites:

JRR Tolkien- 'nuff said. I prefer the Silmarillion over LotR, actually.

George RR Martin- great characters, intriguing plots, nice world-building.

JK Rowling- great world-building, good characters.

Terry Pratchett- funny, funny, funny- but with a serious edge just waiting to smack you.

Neil Gaiman- when I grow up, I wanna live in his head. God, I'm such a fangirl...
Personally, I think that if Anne Rice had even one ounce more of hot air inside her, she'd float gently towards the heavens and disappear into space. Not that it would necessarily be a bad thing. -FW
 Message #261465 - This was a reply to message #261423

Listing 11 to 20 of 59 Replies

PAGES: 6 1 2 3 4 5