Favorite Author
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Favorite Author

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 59 Replies

PAGES: 6 1 2 3 4 5
Silveran
Favorite Author

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday February 4, 2005 4:00 PM
This thread is to discuss and debate each of your favorite authors.

Please feel free to use this thread to your heart's content!
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #259091
Caelin
RE: Favorite Author

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,222

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday February 4, 2005 4:11 PM
Ohh cool.

Well, I got surprise by my love today, being handed a package and when I unwrapped it, I found 4 books I did not have yet from my favorite author, Raymond E Feist. That brings my total of his works on 23 books and only the last 4 not read, of course.

I like his writing style, detailed where it needs to be and always a catching read.
Discussing with a fool is like wrestling a pig in the mud, sooner or later you are bound to realise that the pig likes it.
 Message #259095 - This was a reply to message #259091
Damien

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus
RK: 16
MP: 10,266

Friday February 4, 2005 4:22 PM
I have a few Raymond E. Feist books. I find him a bit.. pondering. While I enjoy his overall storylines... I'm simply not overly fond of the style he uses. To put it simply, I have a difficult time getting through his books, though they -are- good.

When it comes to authors, I have four favorites. The first would be J.R.R. Tolkien. I love his epic style of mythology-style storytelling. Richard A. Knaak and Douglas Niles are two more of my favorites... very easy to read, yet rich styles of writing. And Michael Moorcock is the final favorite of mine.

But really, I tend to shy away from 'favorite' authors. I simply prefer going on a case-by-case basis, judging the stories in their own merit within the context of the style the story is written in. I also really like lore and myth - The Song of Roland, the Illiad, the Odyssey, The Chanson de Gilles, Beowulf, etc..
American by birth. Anti-Christ by choice.
"My god has a bigger dick than your god."

"Tolerance is the policy of those men who no longer believe in anything."
 Message #259101 - This was a reply to message #259095
Alderon

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 451

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday February 7, 2005 1:58 PM
well dark, you and me dont seem to agree on too much but i happen to really like niles and knaak both. just curious if theres any books that you prefered over others on the off chance ive not heard of/read them, as id like to read some more of his works.
Hell hath no furry like a womans scorn for Sega !!
 Message #259541 - This was a reply to message #259101
Diabloslayer52

Membrum
RK: 2
MP: 224

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday February 7, 2005 2:30 PM
I enjoyed Knaak's work, however i'm not too proficient in Niles work.

A personal favorite of mine is S.D. Perry. Nothing too serious, but it does make for an interesting read. She usually takes off of famous genres (Aliens, Resident Evil, Aliens vs Predator) and writes about the different details and other parts of the series and gives the characters life, even if it messes up one trivial part of the game.
stuponfucious penny arcade

Elan: Sigh. 'If you help with the verse, you'll just make things worse.' Order of the Stick
Cervantes: I AM DELICATE INCARNATE! Radioactive Panda
 Message #259557 - This was a reply to message #259541
Damien

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus
RK: 16
MP: 10,266

Monday February 7, 2005 10:47 PM
I probably don't have much you haven't heard of already.

For Knaak.. there's the obvious Dragonlance books: The Legend of Huma, Kaz the Minotaur, Land of the Minotaurs and Reavers of the Blood Sea. Which is almost half of the books he's written for DL.

The Citadel was good.. but it was a bit slow, and I wasn't huge on the plot, so it doesn't stand as one of my favorite Knaak books.

The only other book by Knaak that I'm fond of is Day of the Dragon. It's a Warcraft novel. I'm not actually big on Warcraft, and I don't know too much about it, but I enjoyed Knaak's writing enough for the book to stand up as one of my favorites he's done.

I want to get ahold of the War of the Ancients series - he wrote the entire thing. The first book is called The Well of Eternity.

As for Niles..

He has his own fantasy series he created.. but I haven't had the pleasure of reading it. But pretty much every book he's written for Dragonlance was pure gold.

I am EAGERLY awaiting Lord of the Rose.. the first book in the Solamnic Empire trilogy Niles is writing for DL. Oh yeah.
American by birth. Anti-Christ by choice.
"My god has a bigger dick than your god."

"Tolerance is the policy of those men who no longer believe in anything."
 Message #259628 - This was a reply to message #259541
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Tuesday February 8, 2005 12:19 AM
My favorites...
Gene Wolfe, M. John Harrison, John Crowley.
Gene Wolfe is a favorite of many people, perhaps especially other writers of SF&F. his tales are always well-crafted and require some careful readings and thinking to 'get'. Even then re-reading it will show new subtleties and aspects. There is an almost dream-like quality to his prose, quiet, so easy to read you hardly realize what you are doing.

M. John Harrison writes a bit differently. He is...I wouldn't say bleak. He writes extraordinarily well. I'm not a big fan of Hemmingway, but if Hemmingway had used a lot more vivid language, more descriptions, metaphors and similies, you might get the idea. His Viriconium series is great, and he can tell stories without any plot or point and have me drooling over his work. One of his pet projects is the death of fantasy. To clarify, he likes some fantasy, but get so sick of the countless Tolkien-clones, so he wrote his first Viriconium story as a reaction to all the conventions. He realized this was stupid, and his second story was a reaction to his first. He then realized this was stupid, too, and scrapped reacting to anything and just wrote stories he wanted to. One theme recurrent in his stories is the attempt to erase the boundary between 'fantasy' and 'reality'. He does it very well indeed.

John Crowley is much like the others. Less cold and detached than Harrison, less ....I don't know, but less 'something' than Wolfe, but every bit as good.
"Little, Big" is probably the book to read first. That or "A great work of time"
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #259636 - This was a reply to message #259628
dedhorse

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,991

Tuesday February 8, 2005 10:42 PM
Douglas Niles is pretty hit and miss for me. Most of his DL novels are stellar. His FR ones, not so much though passable. His Watershed trilogy, couldn't get past the first book, they put me to sleep. He write's great battle scenes, I'll give him that.

Favourite authors.

Salman Rushdie. Salman Rushdie is to the written language as Mario Lemieux is to hockey. The guy's got magic in his fingers. Just try keeping up with his train of thoughts through the labyrinths of his sentence structures.

Jorge Luis Borges. Probably the most influential short story writer of the twentieth century and for good reason. He didn't invent magic realism but he might as well have.

Anne Carson. Canadian poet, my favourite poet. Her book, The Beauty of the Husband was one of the most amazing books I'd ever read. Mature, complicated look at relationships, something rarely seen in popular literature or film.
all your wretched years, all your weeping... and your joy unbound.
go down, be burned - rise again.
 Message #259767 - This was a reply to message #259636
goddess_dawn

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,249

Monday February 14, 2005 12:38 PM
well considering the fact that i just started reading again the ones i like so far are

George RR Martin
Joanne Bertin
Jane Yolen
Thomas M Reid

salvatore got old really quick
Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love - you think this happens every day?

i'm going sane in a crazy world.....
before you insult someone, you should first walk a mile in their shoes.

That way when you insult them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
 Message #260297 - This was a reply to message #259767
eswiftfire

Ordo Nocturnus
RK: 15
MP: 8,256

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday February 16, 2005 10:50 AM
Always felt that whenever Salvator's doing trilogies, the first book tends to be the best one.
 Message #260483 - This was a reply to message #260297

Listing 1 to 10 of 59 Replies

PAGES: 6 1 2 3 4 5