PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1
Avenging_Angel
My Job Is...

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday September 23, 2011 9:20 AM
I've noticed a recent theme in the Despair and Rage threads, so here we are. Post all your annoyances, rage, and despair aimed at your gainful employment - and unlike Facebook, you probably won't risk getting fired for it.

My job is great. My supervisors? Full of shit.

I do restock at the Department-Store-That-Must-Not-Be-Named. This is a relatively complicated system. The store computer generates a list of things that we have sold and from these picks out what we probably need to restock the most - size, color, and brand. This list is available on the little handheld scanners with the amount needed and location in the number-coded stockroom shelves. So, we go trotting out with our scanners to find them - usually with item descriptions like CT G CREW 6P W 4-6x M DB. (that's Carters brand girl's crew socks, six pack of white with gray toes, size medium for size range 4-6)
Then we tote it off once it's located, usually after a good span of hunting around for it (things are so rarely in the right place), and put it on a cart. When the cart's full, we take it out to the store, hunt around for the right place for it, and arrange it all by size. We're supposed to take ALL of the item on the list, not the number it says on the list, so this means a lot of cramming stuff onto shelves that were just not meant to hold it. Then, we take what's left back to the stockroom, put it back where we got it and start with a new list. Each department is divided into sections (children, for example, is Infants, Girls, and Boys) and each of these has it's own list. On good days, this will be 20-30. On bad days, 80-120 items.

We're also supposed to get through every single department every day. There's about six people who do restock, some like me only work weekends. We have about ten departments, so this should be manageable on a good day. On a BAD day, however...

We've had a lot of bad days lately, and one of my supervisors (I don't know who, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's the notoriously ill-tempered one I've tangled with before) has taken to writing on the assignment sheets "PULL ALL TO 0 EVERY DAY!". Every day. On every sheet. And one of them told me off for not being able to restock two of our largest departments, single-handedly, on an incredibly busy day. These two departments are our ENTIRE GROUND FLOOR. Our lists of items needed were around 100 each, and every time I went out to the floor to put stuff away, I would get called away to help on the registers or help people find things. And now she is (I suspect) constantly tracking my progress.

I've decided, however, I'm going to defeat her with math.

You see, I think we are being demanded to do irrational things here. The list I worked tonight was 90 items. I figured in 3 minutes for each item in the entire process - finding it, getting a ladder to reach it, scanning it, putting it to the cart then to the floor, then any extras back. Some are easy to find, some are damn well impossible so I think that should average it out.

90 x 3 = 270 minutes. 270/60= 4.5 hours. Children's department tonight had three lists about that length, so for me to restock it all by myself would have taken approx 13.5 hours.

Unless someone has a portal gun for me, little miss perfect can stuff that pink dry-erase and her snippy comments on my review where the sun don't shine - IT IS SIMPLY NOT HUMANLY POSSIBLAAAAAARGGGGH

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Friday September 23, 2011 9:22 AM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #340198
TheShadowlord
RE: My Job Is...

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday September 24, 2011 12:57 PM
I've noticed that people farther up the chain of command tend to be rather bad at applied math.
"Spend a few extra minutes doing X, or in Y department. You always have a few extra minutes"
Thing is, a couple extra minutes multiplied by 20 or 30 different things gets to be a fair amount.
It boils down to that they want us to work overtime for free. One ex-employee was basically told this to her face by the district manager. It took years before labor laws were actually followed by my workplace and overtime pay was given to assistant managers.

[[Edited by TheShadowlord on Tuesday October 18, 2011 3:12 PM]]
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340199 - This was a reply to message #340198
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 18, 2011 8:33 AM
My job is apparently something I'm good at - I got associate of the month. This is both happiness and despair and a little bit of rage. Blergh.

At least I have a fancy plaque now.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #340301 - This was a reply to message #340199
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 18, 2011 3:09 PM
We don't have little things like that at my work. Mostly because we're so small everyone already knows who's the best.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340302 - This was a reply to message #340301

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1