PAGES: 10 1 2 3 4 5
TheShadowlord
Winter

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday January 8, 2010 1:18 AM
After mostly lame winters the last decade, we have been blessed/cursed with real winter.

a foot or more of snow, temperatures which have not risen above -10 in a month, and usually stayed around -20. Today it's -30. (that's all C. If you need to know what that is in weirdo-degrees, do it yourself).
Some places have suffered -45 temperatures (I know that -40 is the same in F and C)

It's undeniably pretty outside, and I'm glad to have a real winter again after years of wet, polished ice and slush, but -30 is pushing it. I am not looking forward to my next two power bills, even if most of my heat comes from parafin and wood.

It's also a wonderful time to realize that the idiots who put in your new bathroom window, the one that looks straight into the shower, didn't put in a proper stop for the vent. No wonder the place was bloody freezing all winter.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #335817
DarkDalamar20
RE: Winter

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,311

Friday January 8, 2010 11:21 AM
That's interesting. We are having a supposed "el Nino" winter - so we are having warmer than normal and dryer than normal winter. Last year we had 72 inches of snow by now, right now we have had 10 inches this season and there is none on the ground right now. In fact, later in the week it's supposed to be 40 degrees and rainy. VERY strange for this time of year.

Sounds like the midwest and east coast are getting hit right now though. My wife is in Chicago for a job conference and they were supposed to get a foot of snow yesterday with -30 to -50 (F) wind chill.

The story I found the funniest was in Florida they had their "Polar Bear Plunge" where people run and jump in the water. Florida has been having cooler than normal temperatures. It was something like 46 (F) air temperature, but the water they were "plunging" into was 68 degrees....Ha.
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #335818 - This was a reply to message #335817
AnimusAniKorSaxcian

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 488

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday January 8, 2010 11:25 AM
Its cold...enough said. I wish spring would get here now. I hate the fact that my late night Sheetz runs have become a perilous adventure because of bad road conditions. I just want a sweet tea and chili cheese dogs. Is that so wrong of me? Why must this nature punish me.
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his."- Ben Franklin in 1776
 Message #335819 - This was a reply to message #335818
Novaximus

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,622

Friday January 8, 2010 12:38 PM
The Storm that came through the midwest and now here in my neck of the woods, New Jersey, is just what they call a "Clipper" storm. It's just a small passer-by that hasn't really brought much more than 2 inches of snow. However the Storm we had a few weeks ago was the heaviest our Tri-State area has seen in 100 years with a one storm fall amount of 24 inches over the course of an entire day.

The weight of all that snow had buckled my car port. Instead of protecting my car it has damaged it. While my car only suffered two dents with some paint chipping the repair estimate came to 2,500 dollars! Now I know why car insurance is so expensive.
± Sometimes to become great one must become small ±
 Message #335822 - This was a reply to message #335819
TheShadowlord

Saturday January 9, 2010 1:01 AM
Found out that the oil-tank ran dry sometime early yesterday. Woke up to a cold apartment. Great way to start the day. If I'm lucky we'll get more next week.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #335829 - This was a reply to message #335822
Kitiara

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,452

Saturday January 9, 2010 8:06 PM
Winter would be great.

I'm melting, I'm melting!
Anyone you can describe as chipper is to be avoided. You never know when they'll crack. Eventually, they're gonna start gnawing on the nearest thing they can, whether it's a hood ornament or wristwatch, wrist still attached; a moment when that uniform they've made for themselves breaks down and they fall to pieces, right out of it. Give me the life-haters any day. They'll play you straight. -Oobie
 Message #335832 - This was a reply to message #335829
SisqAlpha

Ordo Aqua: Savant
RK: 5
MP: 953

Saturday January 16, 2010 9:27 AM
I've been looking at day time highs in the 40's and 50's and rain, and rain, and ...rain... Fog, and damn little snow, even in the mountains. I'm looking around the hills and I'm seeing them turn green. In January! Right now night time lows should be in the mid teens, day time highs in the low thirties. Instead we got that last month and even saw sub-zero temps.
What I'm seeing now, is what our March and April used to look like......Weird shit guys.
"Tuna and bread. Tuna and bread."-----

"Fuck tuna and bread. Star Trek is on."
-------------------------------------------------
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." ~George S. Patton
 Message #335866 - This was a reply to message #335832
Pillage

Ordo Aqua: Scholar
RK: 4
MP: 785

Saturday January 16, 2010 5:25 PM
I know! This is probably the worst Winter we've had down here in the Southern Hemisphere. The Melbourne trams have become a side-along panorama of the apocalypse's first moments, when all the dead are out and the abyss is still open. Every corner it stops on, there's a car crash, fire truck passing by, or some other assorted disaster (I've seen a guy pass out in his car and knock a kid off a bench, a heart attack and on New Year's alone, five fights). Every day is at least 40 degrees Celsius (that's 100 in your bizarro, archaic Fahrenheit) in a city famous for indecisiveness in its weather patterns. It's like a kid who can't decide which ice cream to get, and stands there all day. 11 am: "Oh, I think I'll have a ridiculously hot day." 1:30 pm "No! I want a thunderstorm ... actually, just a fog will do [5 pm]." For the last week, that kid has grown an obsession with "Bad acid trip where everywhere you tread, you think there's an enormous hair dryer searing your entire body."

January is the worst part of Winter

... Oh, and I've missed you guys.
hi iam new lol
 Message #335872 - This was a reply to message #335866
TheShadowlord

Saturday February 20, 2010 2:19 AM
The real cold ended about half-way through January, so we've had decent temperatures since then (no colder than -10).
But we've got a lot more snow. Nearly 20 cm since yesterday, and it's still coming down.

this is the best winter we've had in at least a decade, probably 2.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #336000 - This was a reply to message #335872
TheShadowlord

Saturday February 27, 2010 10:12 AM
I live on Hoth.
Not quite a blizzard today, but a LOT of snow. Many of the major roads around here haven't been plowed yet (ca. 19.00).

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #336024 - This was a reply to message #336000

Listing 1 to 10 of 97 Replies

PAGES: 10 1 2 3 4 5