PAGES: 16 12 13 14 15 16
Nix
RE: RAGE is...

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 448

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday September 14, 2012 11:27 PM
Damn Silv. I'm surprised you went back. Seems to me the guy needs a good humility lesson. It's times like that I wish there really was a an organization like "Knights of the Dinner Table"'s Hackmaster Gamermaster's Association you could file a complaint with.

Hmm...maybe you should introduce him to Hackmaster the hard way: "accidentally" having his character take a critical to the groin every session.
-This message brought to you by Nix, Mercenary to the Grammar Nazi regime
My gaming groups new motto: Wet the Sock! (Not as dirty as it sounds)
 Message #341261 - This was a reply to message #341260
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday September 16, 2012 10:04 PM
I can relate. A friend of mine had played with us for a year or so, then decided he wanted to try his hand a DMing, so he was allowed to run a dungeon in our primary DM's campaign. Some of the things he did:

- sent us into a dungeon where we in short order proceded to collect every magic item in the book, often several, then he realized he had given us a bit much and we entered a room where suddenly everything (including the stuff we had acquired properly) became Disjoined.

- in the same dungeon had us find a room the size of a small house made entirely of mithril. And the room was a giant supercomputer. Then since we couldn't pry or hack anything loose with our non-mithril weapons (this was in AD&D 2E days, so adamantine and mithral didn't exist in RAW), so we had to leave it without learning anything about it.

- in the same dungeon we came to a room with a giant monster (a dragon, I think) we couldn't defeat safely, but it was too big to get through the doors, so we opened a door, cast fireball, then closed and rested (the only good offensive spell our wizard had). He got so mad he said: "A bullet kills your character, Martin. You're dead." we thought he was joking, but he was deadly serious. We refused to accept this.

- final boss, a giant of some sort who we nearly died killing, then he resurrected, and we finally managed to beat again, then he rejuved again, then suddenly died after only a little damage when the DM realized we couldn't beat him a third time. Then he floated up to the ceiling and disappeared, and the room started filling with acid. We couldn't get out because the door had magically vanished. WE looked everywhere for hidden doors, especially around the throne. Then we died. When asked if there was a way out, he answered "There was a button."
"A button? where?"
"On the throne."
"The throne we specifically said we searched really well, using magic and everything?"
"Yeah."

Needless to say the primary DM was not best pleased with having to get his story back on track after this.

Later on the selfsame guy wanted to start his own campaign. Everyone ended up playing wizards, and by the end of the first session we all had several Staffs of the Magi/Power, uncountable wands of fireballs and lightning bolts.
in his defense, he had decided to get a module to run instead of trying to make up his own stuff. He opened it on our very first session, which went something like this:
*5 minutes of reading the module*
DM: "You start in the Free City of Greyhawk [...]"
Us: "Ok, we accept the quest and head to the destination."
*5 minutes of reading*
DM: "You arrive at...."

well, you get the idea.

Still, this doesn't top what an acquaintance went through. The campaign was called "The Prophecy". It was a standard 'fight the evil god, save the world' story, except that the players after a session or two found the secret book of prophecy that was required to tell them how to defeat the BBEG. This book spelled out in minute detail everything that they had to do. If the players deviated in any way from anything written there - and it was very detailed and specific - the book would start vibrating ominously until they got back on track. If they persisted, it exploded, killing everyone. Then everyone would go back to the last save point and be expected to do everything by the book. The only freedom the PCs, and the players, had was to roll the dice, and even that didn't matter much because the monsters would never be allowed to defeat them.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341263 - This was a reply to message #341261
Nix

Tuesday September 18, 2012 1:11 AM
By Morodin's ball beard! That's just pathetic! Well, thanks for making me feel better about my own skills.
 Message #341264 - This was a reply to message #341263
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday November 12, 2012 9:38 PM
Rage is our fucking homophobic culture.

My friend D attends another school in the rural midwest, decent sized state school, and we keep in touch pretty well. He decided he was tired of hiding and came out as bisexual on campus. It took about a week for some fucking geniuses to start writing things on his door - "burn in hell, fag" "fags die of AIDs", etc. His floor's RA is an evangelical christian who's been utterly unhelpful, so he tried to deal with them himself when he caught them writing on his door in the middle of the night and told them off. He got a trip to the hospital and a fractured rib, and all they got was moved to a different dorm, because he's afraid his family will find out if he files a police report.

This isn't rage on my part, it's fury rapidly morphing into pure murder.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341428 - This was a reply to message #341264
TheShadowlord

Wednesday November 14, 2012 2:37 AM
From the stock of supportive but utterly insufficient phrases: my sympathies.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341431 - This was a reply to message #341428
Nix

Tuesday November 20, 2012 11:44 PM
Rage is bots getting into the forums. We need some maintenance pronto.
 Message #341449 - This was a reply to message #341447
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday November 21, 2012 7:01 AM
Well, at least, it's easy to delete.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341457 - This was a reply to message #341449
DragonLady

Membrum
RK: 2
MP: 310

Monday March 4, 2013 4:35 AM
Rage is disappointment! Don't tell me you are going to do something then flake repeatedly. I'm done with it!
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
 Message #341713 - This was a reply to message #341457
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

Monday March 4, 2013 6:46 AM
QUOTED  Rage is disappointment! Don't tell me you are going to do something then flake repeatedly. I'm done with it!

I'm going to write out a long thought-out response. Really.

Eh...

Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341714 - This was a reply to message #341713
TheShadowlord

Monday March 4, 2013 7:15 PM
In other news: it's good to see you again DL.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341720 - This was a reply to message #341714

Listing 131 to 140 of 153 Replies

PAGES: 16 12 13 14 15 16