RE: What's for dinner?

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday August 16, 2012 8:50 PM
Homemade pizza.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341189 - This was a reply to message #341174
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday August 17, 2012 11:19 PM
I love homemade pizza, but I'm terribly picky about toppings. What do you put on yours?
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341193 - This was a reply to message #341189
TheShadowlord

Saturday August 18, 2012 6:45 PM
It varies a little, depending on what's in the fridge at the moment, but this was a Synnøve Finden yellow cheese (our everyday cheese)/mozarella/Parmesan topping, pepperoni (the small, really spicy kind), fresh champignon, homemade sauce.

Other toppings that have at some point been on the pizza:
- fresh red peppers (but gf doesn't like 'em, so they generally stay off)
- ground beef (spiced or plain)
- salami (Danish, Italian, Norwegian)
- cheddar
- real mozzarella (the soft white kind)
- bacon
- chicken (small, fried bits)

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341197 - This was a reply to message #341193
TheShadowlord

Wednesday February 6, 2013 2:20 AM
Chicken tandoori with a healthy helping of spinach and broccoli. The way things are going, our chicken tandoori will have no chicken and only veggies in it. Not bad thing, when you think about it.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341647 - This was a reply to message #341197
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday February 6, 2013 5:45 AM
On the menu: hummus and veggie panini with a bottle of Fat Tire Winter Ale. The panini is amazing - it's got sprouts, greens, and grilled sweet red pepper strips, and it goes perfectly with the beer. I love being legal to go out for the booze I have been staying in to enjoy for the past several years.

QUOTED 
Chicken tandoori with a healthy helping of spinach and broccoli. The way things are going, our chicken tandoori will have no chicken and only veggies in it. Not bad thing, when you think about it.

I've been trying to decide if I just hang out with a lot of smelly hippies, or if what appears to be an overall decline in meat consumption among younger people is really a thing. Over here, at least, it's partially because of a lot of bad food scares and the fact that (for student budgets/bad economy) meat is damned expensive, but it does seem to be a trend.

Thoughts?

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Wednesday February 6, 2013 5:48 AM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341648 - This was a reply to message #341647
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

Wednesday February 6, 2013 4:03 PM
I think it's a trend reinforced by the high cost of meat at the moment. Remember the drought cause a huge hike in feed costs, so that gets translated into higher cost for meat. But, I can say as a younger person with less money, I did tend to eat less meat than I do today.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341649 - This was a reply to message #341648
TheShadowlord

Friday February 8, 2013 4:12 AM
Here the trend is the opposite. In general, in the last 60 years or so meat consumption has steadily increased while veggies/fish have declined. Some of it that fish is getting so damn expensive compared to meat. To give an idea, about 100 years ago in western Norway, some areas had labor laws that forbade farm/factory owners from feeding their employees salmon more than 6 days a week.
Cod used to be the cheap, everyday fish, along with things like salted herring or mackrel. Now, these are expensive, as expensive as meat in some cases. With Norway being rather well-off, meat is cheaper than it ever has been. And beef is the most popular meat, so many people get it if possible.

Personally, it's not just a matter of cost (we're not exactly swimming in cash, so it is a consideration), it's primarily a matter of health and to a degree a matter of morality. We have a vegan friend who is quite active in the national anti-fur movements, and while he has never said a word or given any indication of dislike (other than answering direct questions), we are slowly reducing our meat and dairy comsumption. If given the chance, we buy such products where the animals are taken better care of than usual. The term they use here, whch I abhor, is 'ecological products'.
Also, if we are going to spice the shit out of something like we often do, why use meat? Just wasting good meat flavor.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341650 - This was a reply to message #341649
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

Sunday February 10, 2013 9:48 AM
QUOTED  If given the chance, we buy such products where the animals are taken better care of than usual. The term they use here, whch I abhor, is 'ecological products'.

The term in here in the States is much more retarded: "organic". I know I don't eat rocks without carbon in them as my primary food source. I've come to call it the the "Douchery" section. Mainly because the number of douchbags that push it. I'm somewhat lucky. Where I live is a large Mennonite area, so I can get meat without too many antibiotics/hormones from a local butcher for a tad higher than at the local Wally World. And, I don't have to deal with the bullshit marketing scheme of "Black Angus" to get good meat. (For those here in the US, for beef to be labeled as Black Angus the cow which it came from had to be more than 50% black. Not an Angus cow thats mostly black, just a cow. And, there is no discernible difference between taste/tenderness of angus and any other breed of cattle.)

Tonight is homemade chicken soup and chicken salad sammiches.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341661 - This was a reply to message #341650
TheShadowlord

Monday February 11, 2013 5:03 PM
Moussaka, from a Greek cookbook the girl bought in Athens.
Dripping in olive oil, a pain to make, but very good. Will try some variants that don't take quite as much prep or oil.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341665 - This was a reply to message #341661
TheShadowlord

Sunday March 3, 2013 7:07 PM
Fiskegrateng (fish au gratin)
Common Norwegian dinner. White fish mixed in with macaroni and bechamel sauce, sprinkled with bread crumbs and put in the over for 30-40 minutes. SErved with potatoes and optional vegetables.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341711 - This was a reply to message #341665

Listing 31 to 40 of 65 Replies

PAGES: 7 2 3 4 5 6