Goodnight Tranqility Base
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Goodnight Tranqility Base

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1
Silveran
Goodnight Tranqility Base

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday August 26, 2012 10:16 AM
Neil Alden Armstrong died today of complications from a heart surgery earlier this month.

Cmdr. Armstrong began his career above our fair Earth in the US Navy, reaching Lt, JG earning the Air Medal for 20 combat missions, a Gold Star for the next 20, and the Korean Service Medal and Engagement Star during the Korean Conflict.

He then went to college graduating from Purdue withe a BS in Aeronautical Engineering, and later earned his MS in Aeronautical Engineering from USC.

After college and marriage to his wife Janet, he began a career as an experimental pilot flying over 200 aircraft, including the Bell X-1 and the NA X-15.

He then joined NASA in the second round of astronauts. Armstron commanded the Gemini VIII mission, which suffered technical failure in the primary flight controls during a planned docking with a unmanned vehicle. Armstrong quickly switched to a secondary system, intended to be used for re-entry, saving both himself and David Scott. Armstrong was quoted as being upset at this system failure as it "robbed" Scott of his planned spacewalk.

On July 16, 1969 at 13:32:00 UTC (9:32:00 a.m. EDT local time), Apollo XI launched from Kennedy Space Center. Three days later, Apollo XI reached lunar orbit. After thirty orbits, on July 20, Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin and Armstrong separated Eagle from Columbia leaving Michael Collins in orbit. At 20:17 UDT, for the first time in all of human history, a manned craft was on another heavenly body.

At 02:59 UTC, Neil Armstrong, Commander Apollo XI, stated "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" and set foot on Luna.

On July 24 at 16:51 UTC, the brave crew of Apollo XI returned to the planet that they left 8 days prior.

Armstrong went on to a leadership role in NASA, teaching, and leadership roles in a number of aerospace companies.

I don't think any of you here were alive that night in July 1969 when all of us in the US and almost everyone in the world held our breath for a few fateful minutes. I can honestly say that night changed us as a species. The human earth was different before it, and it will never be the same.

Cmdr Armstrong had a way with words, some which I feel should be remembered and thought about by every thinking man on the planet.

"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."

"I fully expected that, by the end of the century, we would have achieved substantially more than we actually did."

Armstrong's family has asked in remembrance to Cmdr. Armstrong's life and accomplishment that when you see the Moon, to wink at her, and I would ask, as Jim Lovell famously asked, when are we going back?
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341225
tassanaburrfoot
RE: Goodnight Tranqility Base

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday August 26, 2012 11:39 AM
It is saddening to see such a legend leave this Earth. Then again, isn't that the way with all legends? How old was he? (Just out of curiosity.)
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #341226 - This was a reply to message #341225
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday August 26, 2012 12:03 PM
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341227 - This was a reply to message #341226
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday August 26, 2012 2:46 PM
Damn.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341229 - This was a reply to message #341227

Listing 1 to 4 of 4 Replies

PAGES: 1