PAGES: 2 1 2
TheShadowlord
Go Germany

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday July 18, 2012 4:34 AM
Germany has made it illegal to perform circumcision on children for non-medical reasons. It's about time some country recognizes that this is a barbaric pratcise no matter what sex the child is.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341086
Avenging_Angel
RE: Go Germany

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday July 18, 2012 11:56 AM
Barbaric because what? I agree it's silly that it's such an unspoken accepted thing in most western countries, but there's a lack of solid evidence that it does any actual harm, while it can reduce the likelihood of infections and contracting HIV.

All I see is another example of thinly-veiled legislation aimed at minorities Western Europe is uncomfortable with - Muslims and Jews in particular.

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Wednesday July 18, 2012 11:59 AM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341089 - This was a reply to message #341086
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday July 18, 2012 12:47 PM
Removing healthy tissue from a human being for non-medical reasons without informed consent of the patient is barbaric. An infant can not give informed consent.

The evidence of infection rates have shown to be negligible in difference if basic hygiene is followed. I've only seen one study that shows the reduced chances of HIV transmission, and that study specifically said if condoms are used then it doesn't matter anyway. As for harm, there is a multiple study proven loss of sense of touch for both males (foreskin) and females (clitoral hood) whom have been circumcised.

This does not stop circumcision in adulthood. If the person wants to body modify (for whatever reason religious or pure aesthetics), they can do so when they are grown and CAN MAKE UP THEIR OWN MIND!

[[Edited by Silveran on Wednesday July 18, 2012 12:50 PM]]
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341090 - This was a reply to message #341089
TheShadowlord

Wednesday July 18, 2012 4:50 PM
What he said. Not to mention that the infant is in a lot of pain from the operation.
This isn't a matter of Germany choosing to ban things because they don't like Jews or Muslims, it's a matter of banning horrid practises that these groups have.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341091 - This was a reply to message #341090
Nix

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 448

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday July 19, 2012 3:47 AM
Uh huh...another example of Germany caving to the reactionaries. It's amazing how quickly a country can go from owning most of Europe to lying on it's back.
-This message brought to you by Nix, Mercenary to the Grammar Nazi regime
My gaming groups new motto: Wet the Sock! (Not as dirty as it sounds)
 Message #341092 - This was a reply to message #341091
TheShadowlord

Thursday July 19, 2012 3:35 PM
Is this sarcasm? Or is it a bad thing that a country listens to people who oppose mutilating kids and ban the practise?

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341093 - This was a reply to message #341092
Nix

Thursday July 19, 2012 8:23 PM
Sorry, but I just don't see this as "Mutilation".
 Message #341094 - This was a reply to message #341093
TheShadowlord

Friday July 20, 2012 4:11 PM
So you are ok with cutting off healthy, standard issue, non-threatening tissue and causing pain to infants, then?
If that isn't mutilation, what is?

See, this is exactly the same type of argument those in favor of female circumcision use. "It's what we've always done"
"They can function afterwards", "we don't consider it mutilation, just the proper way for them to look"

If that sort of argument doesn't excuse female circumcision, then it isn't valid for male circumcision either.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341096 - This was a reply to message #341094
Nix

Friday July 20, 2012 9:07 PM
"So you are ok with cutting off healthy, standard issue, non-threatening tissue and causing pain to infants, then?"

What about children born with vestigial tails? They're healthy, non-threatening, and standard-issue in the sense that the child is born with it.

As for female circumcision: cutting off a chunk of muscly labia is entirely different that cutting off a small amount of dermal tissue.
 Message #341098 - This was a reply to message #341096
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

Sunday July 22, 2012 11:18 AM
My rule of thumb: I'll accept any society that bans all circumcision IF they first ban the forcible assignment of genitals to intersex infants. If you're going to assume that every infant's body is pristine as it's born, start with things that have actually been proven to fuck people up later in life.

As it is, with no solid evidence that male circumcision causes any long term damage, I'm going to have to stick with "Germany doesn't like religious minorities".
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341099 - This was a reply to message #341098

Listing 1 to 10 of 15 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2