PAGES: 1
tassanaburrfoot
SOPA/PIPA

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday January 19, 2012 1:37 AM
Just wanted to raise awareness about SOPA and PIPA and what it is that our Congress is trying to pass.

Visit http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_internet/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keg6it0g2wY&feature=share for more information. https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/SOPA/Blackoutpage

If this thing passes, it could mean a lot of trouble for us. Not merely this site, but all websites that may house possibly pirated things. YouTube and Wikipedia, among others, will end up having to close down.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #340607
Silveran
RE: SOPA/PIPA

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday January 19, 2012 11:01 AM
It's not just "pirated" stuff. It includes anything that has copyright protections. For example, the album image from Adam Ant posted a few time here. Currently, if the record company wants it removed, they have to send a removal request from Chung. If SOPA/PIPA passes, then all the record company has to do is send Google/BING/Yahoo and the ISP providing the connection to the internet an order to shut off the RPGC. And, the RPGC is dead. That basic.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #340608 - This was a reply to message #340607
tassanaburrfoot

Friday January 20, 2012 12:42 AM
That's why I said, "possibly pirated." It won't matter if it is pirated or not. Anything copyrighted and used without permission could be considered "pirated." And while I agree with the whole "Stop Piracy" thing, I don't agree with shutting down an entire website just because of one foolish person. (Or one person who happens to like a particular picture, movie/music phrase, or video.)

And they are claiming that the media industry is losing billions of dollars to the internet because of copyrighted material being used. Are you kidding me? If you're that worried, then maybe you should join the internet, like a lot of people are doing.

I was reading one article that was talking about how Justin Bieber made fame by posting videos of himself singing other people's songs. If this bill makes it through, then no one could do that anymore. (Post videos of themselves singing other people's songs, that is.) Grant it, I'm not a Bieber fan, but everyone deserves that chance at fame if they wanna try for it. And not everyone had the talent to write their own stuff. (I imagine if Bieber had had the talent to write his own material, he would have.)
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #340610 - This was a reply to message #340608
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday January 23, 2012 11:34 AM
QUOTED And they are claiming that the media industry is losing billions of dollars to the internet because of copyrighted material being used. Are you kidding me? If you're that worried, then maybe you should join the internet, like a lot of people are doing.

I love how the number keeps changing. In two article about SOPA/PIPA and the effort to stop them (thank goodness it's done), we get two different numbers.

In this article:

Supporters estimate that online piracy costs the U.S. at least $100 billion annually and thousands of jobs; even the bills' critics say sales of pirated products must be stopped. But foes say the legislation goes too far, threatening to curb Internet free speech, stifle online innovation and burden online businesses with damaging regulations.

Yet this article:

The chief Senate sponsor, Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., cited estimates that copyright piracy costs the American economy more than $50 billion annually and that global sales of counterfeit goods via the Internet reached $135 billion in 2010.

There is a big difference between $100 billion and $50 billion. (I included the rest of the sentence for completeness. I would point out the second number is for ALL counterfeiting, including physical goods, like a purse with the Louis Vitton logo on it, when it shouldn't.)

[[Edited by Silveran on Monday January 23, 2012 11:38 AM]]
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #340615 - This was a reply to message #340610
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Tuesday January 24, 2012 3:48 PM
My understanding of this is limited, but what's to stop people from migrating to foreign servers? US law doesn't apply to other countries, despite what some idiots want to believe.

And while these detestable laws have been defeated now, what's to stop them from coming back? A few cosmetic changes and the douches can try them again, can't they?
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #340618 - This was a reply to message #340615
tassanaburrfoot

Wednesday January 25, 2012 12:39 AM
Sure they can. But they would have to make changes to it that would satisfy the public.

I'll bet those numbers aren't even accurate, Silv.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

Message #340622 - This was a reply to message #340618

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1