PAGES: 6 2 3 4 5 6
Nix
RE: Obama to be the 44th president of the US

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 448

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday November 7, 2012 9:22 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble Angel, but Colorado's and Washington's legalization is gonna be smacked down pretty quick. A little document called the Constitution precludes the states from legalizing pot.

Though, on the other hand, having legal pot in Washington would get draw a bunch of ne'er do wells and wastes of oxygen out of Oregon...
-This message brought to you by Nix, Mercenary to the Grammar Nazi regime
My gaming groups new motto: Wet the Sock! (Not as dirty as it sounds)
 Message #341415 - This was a reply to message #341413
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday November 8, 2012 12:48 AM
QUOTED Sorry to burst your bubble Angel, but Colorado's and Washington's legalization is gonna be smacked down pretty quick. A little document called the Constitution precludes the states from legalizing pot.

The problem is this:

The ban on marijuana is US Code › Title 10 › Subtitle A › Part II › Chapter 47 › Subchapter X › § 912a. With this legalization vote, this sets up a challenge to Federal control of drug legality for the Courts to handle. Arguably, this is a issue to be decided by a debate over Article VI on one side and Amendments IX and X on the other, with Article I, Section 7's Commerce clause being the main question. Does the Federal government have the right to regulate a product or substance, if it is produced within the same state it is sold in?

And, this, I think, is going to be decided based more on the personal opinions of the judges in question than on matters of law or science. The truth is marijuana should be legal, as much as I personally hate the stuff. It has less harmful effects to the user and others than alcohol. We already have laws to deal with public intoxication/under the influence, so that problem is handled.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341416 - This was a reply to message #341415
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday November 8, 2012 9:03 AM
QUOTED  A little document called the Constitution precludes the states from legalizing pot.

Science has proven that every time someone uses that phrase, a bald eagle somewhere bursts into flames.

Just sayin'.

And I'm not so sure; the main thing is that under federal guidelines, places like California (widespread medical marijuana) and Chicago (decriminalized) should have been smacked down long ago, but it's clearly a fight that the Feds are either unwilling to enforce evenly due to either A)having more important things to do with the time and manpower or B)seeing which way the wind is blowing on this issue.
Whether it stays or not, the fact that the measures passed is pretty significant, and finally forcing this silly little stalemate to come to a head.

QUOTED  Does the Federal government have the right to regulate a product or substance, if it is produced within the same state it is sold in?

And, this, I think, is going to be decided based more on the personal opinions of the judges in question than on matters of law or science. The truth is marijuana should be legal, as much as I personally hate the stuff. It has less harmful effects to the user and others than alcohol. We already have laws to deal with public intoxication/under the influence, so that problem is handled.

Yup. Once the door for medical uses was opened, I'd go so far as to say it's been inevitable for this to come down to a state by state issue.

I personally heartily support the alcohol metaphor, particularly where legalization is concerned - the hardcore drug users are going to keep smoking no matter what the law says. Legalization mostly affects casual partakers like myself who would regard it as similar to sharing a six pack after work. Chemically speaking, marijuana is less addictive than alcohol (things you learn dating a pharmacist) though like any substance it has plenty of room for psychological dependency. If we're going to be objective about this and pretend that Reefer Madness was never filmed, it frankly doesn't make a lot of sense.

The main problem is a certain attitude common to the U.S...
QUOTED  Though, on the other hand, having legal pot in Washington would get draw a bunch of ne'er do wells and wastes of oxygen out of Oregon...

... where users are either ravages to society or "wastes of oxygen". I may accept the label of danger to society for entirely unrelated reasons (shut up, Oobie), but I'd like you to kindly take that attitude and piss off. I work two jobs, go to school full time, run a design business, and pay my taxes. What I occasionally enjoy in my spare time to relieve stress does not define me nor make me a burden on society anymore than you having a drink means you go home to beat your hypothetical wife and children.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341418 - This was a reply to message #341416
Nix

Thursday November 8, 2012 10:57 AM
EDIT:

Damn. Just about said some things better left unsaid. Touchy issue with me.

Angel, just know that you're far from a ne'er do well, and are lucky enough not to live within a stone's throw Hippie Mecca, Oregon.

[[Edited by Nix on Thursday November 8, 2012 11:02 AM]]
 Message #341419 - This was a reply to message #341418
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday November 8, 2012 2:58 PM
Anyway, sanity(?), prevails and Obama is still here. Yes, there's a lot of shit about him I detest, but he's still the lesser of two evils. And Donald Trump's meltdown was hilarious and inaccurate. Trump, the rest of the world would laugh at the Us if they chose Romney. Obama is moderately well-liked, at least in Europe.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341420 - This was a reply to message #341419
Silveran

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium. Master Sweeper: The member that got voted as a master sweeper during a sweepsweek.

Ordo Ignis: Novice
RK: 12
MP: 5,919

Friday November 9, 2012 10:04 AM
Arguably, A_A, anyone who would move from Oregon to Washington just because of the legalization issue is likely to be a useless waste of space. If you want to use it occasionally, that's fine; but, if you are willing to up-root your life just to use a substance, you are an addict. A user isn't always bad, but an abuser is.
Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione
 Message #341423 - This was a reply to message #341418
Nix

Friday November 9, 2012 9:04 PM
Those are the type of people I meant. However, heavy family drama on both sides due to substance abuse kinda makes me a little emotional. I miss seeing my cousins damn it!
 Message #341426 - This was a reply to message #341423
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

Monday November 12, 2012 9:16 PM
QUOTED  Arguably, A_A, anyone who would move from Oregon to Washington just because of the legalization issue is likely to be a useless waste of space. If you want to use it occasionally, that's fine; but, if you are willing to up-root your life just to use a substance, you are an addict. A user isn't always bad, but an abuser is.

Completely agree; I just get touchy about being lumped in with people that desperate to eat a bargain size jug of cheesy poofs and watch Cheech & Chong.

QUOTED  Angel, just know that you're far from a ne'er do well, and are lucky enough not to live within a stone's throw Hippie Mecca, Oregon.

Worse, I live IN the hipster mecca of the Midwest.

QUOTED  Those are the type of people I meant. However, heavy family drama on both sides due to substance abuse kinda makes me a little emotional. I miss seeing my cousins damn it!

Fair enough, but there's been plenty of heavy family drama on my side from people being wingnut evangelical christians and I try not to take it out on everyone who has attended church.
May I inquire further about the nature of the drama or is that out of line?

QUOTED 
Anyway, sanity(?), prevails and Obama is still here. Yes, there's a lot of shit about him I detest, but he's still the lesser of two evils. And Donald Trump's meltdown was hilarious and inaccurate. Trump, the rest of the world would laugh at the Us if they chose Romney. Obama is moderately well-liked, at least in Europe.

From what I gather, he's generally pretty well-liked throughout the international community - moreso than any of the other potential candidates. God knows our standing globally couldn't have done much worse after the Bush administration.

Edit by Silveran: It's "QUOTED" not "QUOTE" in the brackets, dear.

[[Edited by Silveran on Thursday November 15, 2012 9:07 AM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #341427 - This was a reply to message #341426
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Wednesday November 14, 2012 2:35 AM
Yes, but I get the feeling that a lot of people look at Obama and see a black guy (never mind how white he is, culturally or genetically), and know that he is part of the Democratic party, which is the smart one compared to the Republicans.
Also, he's far more charismatic and stylish than Bush ever was.

They don't tend to know the details about Obama's foibles.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341430 - This was a reply to message #341427
tassanaburrfoot

Ordo Aer: Novice
RK: 9
MP: 2,976

Tuesday November 20, 2012 2:53 AM
I'm late. I know. I don't care.

That said, I am glad Obama won. I mean, he would not have been ~my~ choice, and he wasn't, but I would have gone bat-shit crazy if Romney/Ryan won with their anti-feminism campaign bullshit.

On a semi-unrelated/related note, I don't know how much everyone here watched the campaigns or anything, but I was watching this Democratic Convention and watching Clinton talk about Obama (yes, I like Clinton. No, I don't need to give you my reasons as such) and I couldn't help but notice: Clinton looks a lot like Buzz Lightyear. Especially with the faces he makes while talking.

It made me laugh and I ended up not paying a whole lot of attention to what he was saying because I was too busy talking about how much he looks like Buzz.

I did manage to listen to when he was talking about the National Debt and the war with Iraq. I also found it interesting when he spoke about how Obama was trying to fix it and how it takes time to fix that huge of a debt. And I was looking at some charts and saw that, of the Presidents, Obama has spent less than any other president since like Roosevelt. Grant it, that was just his first term and spending isn't the same as borrowing, or whatever. That just makes me curious. Was this chart accurate? And if that's true, then how can people point accusing fingers at Obama when it seems to me like he ~is~ trying to fix things.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Either way, I am glad that he won as opposed to Romney.
Slytherin Pride

W.W.D.D.

You are never too young to die nor too old to live. ~Me!

"Infinity is hard to grasp when I'm born destined to die." ~Lich-Nexus

"Hope is the dream of a waking man." ~Aristotle
 Message #341439 - This was a reply to message #341430

Listing 31 to 40 of 53 Replies

PAGES: 6 2 3 4 5 6