Kitiara
Obama to be the 44th president of the US

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,452

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday November 4, 2008 8:45 PM
Link

I was surprised nobody else had posted this yet.

Thoughts? Not being an American, I didn't really get enough information to have a full opinion, but I didn't like either McCain or Obama from what I'd heard. Still, here's hoping I'm misinformed and it's the beginning of better times for the US.
Anyone you can describe as chipper is to be avoided. You never know when they'll crack. Eventually, they're gonna start gnawing on the nearest thing they can, whether it's a hood ornament or wristwatch, wrist still attached; a moment when that uniform they've made for themselves breaks down and they fall to pieces, right out of it. Give me the life-haters any day. They'll play you straight. -Oobie
 Message #329930
Max
RE: Obama to be the 44th president of the US

MP: 1,041

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday November 4, 2008 8:50 PM
I've been so mired by political BS that I didn't want to bring it up here.

But, like you, I'm surprised it hasn't come up yet.

Cliffnotes version: I didn't like either candidate (not to mention Palin...that bitch was the worst mistake ever to be made in a presidential race), but I thought Obama might fuck the country up a little less. At least in the short run.

On a lighter side, I thought this was quite amusing.

My fellow Americans, how does it feel to know that you will be living in a communist country in a few years? lol

Edit: God damn redundant clauses.

[[Edited by Max on Tuesday November 4, 2008 8:52 PM]]
Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love softly, and with All your Heart
 Message #329931 - This was a reply to message #329930
Kitiara

Tuesday November 4, 2008 9:28 PM
Cute, I like it.

I'm so pleased to live in a colony of the British Monarchy.

The worst our leaders can do is fuck up medicare and go to strip clubs... And since that seems to be acceptable to the voters, we're really just getting exactly what we deserve.
Anyone you can describe as chipper is to be avoided. You never know when they'll crack. Eventually, they're gonna start gnawing on the nearest thing they can, whether it's a hood ornament or wristwatch, wrist still attached; a moment when that uniform they've made for themselves breaks down and they fall to pieces, right out of it. Give me the life-haters any day. They'll play you straight. -Oobie
 Message #329933 - This was a reply to message #329931
StoicFervor

Ordo Aqua: Scholar
RK: 4
MP: 620

Tuesday November 4, 2008 9:53 PM
It's an election, but there wasn't a spot on the ballot for us to vote for a mulligan to get new canidates. There are things I like and dislike about both, so it was more of choosing the lesser of two evils.

Given that I tend to lean towards the Republican line of thinking though, the thought of a Democratic president and Congress isn't my idea of a good time. Hey, what can I do about it though?

QUOTED  The worst our leaders can do is fuck up medicare and go to strip clubs... And since that seems to be acceptable to the voters, we're really just getting exactly what we deserve.

Heh...then again, I was thinking about a career move, and have no problem traveling. So what are the qualifications for the job, Kit? I'm just I can mess up medicare, and I know the dos and don'ts of strip clubs.
'Sic vis pacem para bellum'

Sometimes I aim to please, other times I shoot to kill.

"Enemies are the price of honour."

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Honesty might be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.
 Message #329934 - This was a reply to message #329933
Kitiara

Tuesday November 4, 2008 10:15 PM
You have to have one of the following to truly represent our brave country:

The look of a Uniting Church Usher -

Kevin Rudd: (this is also the strip club goer, by the way, and our current mascot. Le sigh)

Muppet eyebrows -

John Howard:

The ability to get us into record heights of debt in record time -

Paul Keating:

Get eaten by a shark -

Harold Holt:

Or, my personal favourite, be both the first to lead our nation and completely forgettable -

Who? Ermm... *googles "Australia's first Prime Minister"* ... Edmund Barton:

Back on topic, apparently Kevin Rudd is an Obama supporter. This further concerns me.
 Message #329935 - This was a reply to message #329934
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday November 4, 2008 10:39 PM
I'm not really surprised. I didn't think it was going to be quite such a landslide, but I figured that he was going to win.

That said, I didn't particularly care for either candidate. I was leaning more towards McCain's camp until the psychotic uberwoma- I mean, Governor Palin joined up. The thought of her as president - not unlikely, seeing as McCain's not getting any younger - was flat out nauseating.

It's definitely a landmark that he's the first black president, though, so that's something at least. I don't agree with all of his policies, particularly about Iraq, and he sounds like a second Jimmy Carter, but maybe I'll get lucky and he'll have some of those college financing reforms implemented by this time next year. I can dream, right?

My main problem is that he's basically just Jimmy Carter all over again. Whenever someone shows up - particularly in politics - with everyone declaring them a Messiah, promising that they'll fix the government, economy and other woes of the nation and quite possibly turn water into wine, my bullshit meter goes off.

But, it could be worse, I suppose. If he does manage to clean up the Medicare system, that's definitely something my family will feel. And probably appreciate, though I suspect my mother was onto something when talking about socialized healthcare - it's such a ridiculous three ring circus to get the government to do ANYTHING as is, and you want them in charge of medicine?

He's also got a friggin' huge target painted on his head - black, liberal, and now president. It's a miracle he's survived the campaign, and I can only imagine how horrible it must be for his family. I may not agree with the man, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

QUOTED  Given that I tend to lean towards the Republican line of thinking though, the thought of a Democratic president and Congress isn't my idea of a good time. Hey, what can I do about it though?

I know what you mean. I'm a pretty happy fence-sitter, but I do tend to lean a little bit more towards Republican views. It could be a recipe for disaster, but look on the bright side - if the Congress's efficiency over the past few years is any indication, it'll be at least three years before they can get anything done.

QUOTED  (not to mention Palin...that bitch was the worst mistake ever to be made in a presidential race)

Not really. The thing was, she got McCain the gun-toting, repeal-Roe v. Wade, bible banging, wolf hunting, uber-conservative religious right - basically, my family.
McCain was too liberal for most of them, so he needed a running mate to rally the crazies.

Though, what the hell was up with the Vice choices this time around? A psycho and a blithering idiot. Very nice.

In conclusion, this whole mess could have been avoided if we'd all had the sense to vote Cthulhu in '08. Why go for the lesser evil?

Oh well. I suppose there's always '12. One of the upsides to your favored candidate being an immortal elder god from outside existence, I suppose.

QUOTED 
QUOTED  The worst our leaders can do is fuck up medicare and go to strip clubs... And since that seems to be acceptable to the voters, we're really just getting exactly what we deserve.

Heh...then again, I was thinking about a career move, and have no problem traveling.

*gets in line*

I was considering studying abroad in Aussie-land anyway...
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #329936 - This was a reply to message #329934
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Wednesday November 5, 2008 2:30 AM
YES! My candidate won this time.

Not that I think Obama is the best thing there is, but I liked him better than McCain. And, as a non-resident citizen, I can tell you Obama is in a FAR better position to start repairing the USA's damaged image abroad than McCain. And this is important, though few american's seem to realize this.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #329942 - This was a reply to message #329936
DarkDalamar20

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,311

Wednesday November 5, 2008 7:12 AM
I think McCain made a HUGE mistake when picking Palin as his running mate, especially when one of his major gripes towards Obama was lack of experience.

I didn't have a love for either candidate, but I am glad Obama won. John McCain will still have a strong voice in the Senate. Hopefully there is as much reach(around)ing across the isles as they both touted.

Bush was the Republican's downfall all across the country.
Am I a bad person doing good things...or a good person doing bad things... - Dexter
 Message #329944 - This was a reply to message #329942
Benjmn

Membrum
RK: 2
MP: 380

Wednesday November 5, 2008 8:17 AM
It disappoints me that Obama won. It was somewhat inevitable in retrospect, given strong anti-republican sentiment, a weak Republican candidate with a poorly run campaign, the record amounts of money Obama poured into buying the presidency, and the free pass he got on just about every issue from the nation's mass media. Still, I wish he had lost. Democratic President+Democratic Congress=Great Society/New Deal #2, not to mention the revival of the fairness doctrine and loss of the right to secret ballot among unions.

At least his party didn't win a filibuster-proof majority in the senate, though I have little faith in the ability of the spineless politicians that make up the republican senate minority to actually be able to mount a successful filibuster.
Key lime pies are our deliciousness.

Message #329946 - This was a reply to message #329944
Lich_Nexus

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,037

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday November 5, 2008 10:07 AM
Just back from breakfast with my bro and was forced endure some white-trash redneck spouting off nigger this and nigger that. It took all my self control to keep silent and refrain from telling him to shut the fuck up. Luckily his friend noticed the scowl on my face and they continued their discussion at a quieter tone, which I no longer had to hear.
Pierced from below, souls of my trecherous past
Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

The Classical Greeks were not influenced by the Classical Greeks!
 Message #329948 - This was a reply to message #329946

Listing 1 to 10 of 53 Replies

PAGES: 6 1 2 3 4 5