PAGES: 8 4 5 6 7 8
TheShadowlord
RE: What comic are you reading now?

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday May 5, 2009 4:02 AM
I guess I'm lucky that I have never been a reader of Marvel or DC (not counting Vertigo comics). Every time I've opened one of the big name comics I've been convinced it's nothing I want to spend my money on.
I think the best I've read is Neil Gaiman's 1602.
Special issues like Superman: Red Son are somewhat interesting, but not enough.

Too much shit going on, too much back story to know before you understand what's going on, too much restart, too many problems of different authors writing differently.

The only series I'm collecting at the moment is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Not quite as good as the games (which the comics precede), but good enough.

And Hellblazer. I only get the TPB, and I've only recently started collecting them, so I have a lot left to go (I only have 14 or so).
Doesn't suffer quite as much from various authors, though there are some whose work I like better than others.

[[Edited by TheShadowlord on Tuesday May 5, 2009 4:04 AM]]
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #332603 - This was a reply to message #332596
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday October 28, 2009 8:23 AM
Currently reading my shiny new copy of Preacher, volume one. Saw this at the used bookstore and I was unable to resist - been way too long since I read this.
Sharp writing, interesting story and mythology, art that definitely works even if I'm not a huge fan of the style, what's not to love?
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #335582 - This was a reply to message #332603
TheShadowlord

Sunday November 1, 2009 2:55 PM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Steve Dillon's work. His run as artist of Hellblazer just annoys me. All his faces look the same.
I tried reading Preacher some years ago, but just didn't like it.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #335595 - This was a reply to message #335582
Avenging_Angel

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday January 28, 2010 3:19 PM
Been reading my shiny birthday present, a copy of Preacher volume 2, Homeward Bound. More crazy, fucked up goodness.
QUOTED  Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Steve Dillon's work. His run as artist of Hellblazer just annoys me. All his faces look the same.
I tried reading Preacher some years ago, but just didn't like it.

I still don't like the art, but I'd recommend it just on the strength of the story and characters. This volume's also taken a turn for the genuinely creepy - won't be reading it before bed anymore.

After this, I'll start on the loverly first volume of The Stand, Captain Trips, also a present from someone with impeccable taste.(yeah, you know who you are )

- Renee Vivien

Message #335914 - This was a reply to message #335595
TheShadowlord

Sunday January 31, 2010 2:10 AM
Volume 7 of The Spirit.
My FLGS had a 60% off sale on Spirit hardcovers. YAY!

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #335920 - This was a reply to message #335914
TheShadowlord

Tuesday February 16, 2010 1:36 AM
Hellblazer: Rare Cuts.
Now I just need Haunted and my collection of core HB TPBs will be complete.
still don't have things like Papa Midnite or Lady Constantine or that movie spin-off, but those can wait. Indefinitely, in one case.

I just wish they'd release the old Delano HB stories soon. For years a large number of stories just weren't available other than as singles. then we got Rare Cuts, the Fear Machine and the Family Man, but there are still numerous stories left to go. I want them!

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #335972 - This was a reply to message #335920
Avenging_Angel

Friday February 4, 2011 12:27 PM
So, after taking a bit of a break from the comics world, an acquaintance got me back in through this Clive Barker kick I've been on lately - one of his more obscure movies, Nightbreed has always been my favorite of his and said acquaintance recommended the comic adaption as having more material. A little digging on the interwebs unearthed it, and a few volumes in I realized how much I've been missing my lovely picturebooks.

I also just discovered the campus library's comics section. It's surprisingly large and has some lovely content, including all of Preacher and what looks to be a sizable run of Hellblazer.
Expect more of these posts soon.

The Nightbreed comics are pretty awesome, with way more material that was cut from the movie due to running time/content/studio differences and even going beyond the end of the movie. (given the cliffhanger it and the novella it's based off of ended on, I was quite excited to find that out)
I also like that Barker is enough of a cool mofo to be enthusiastic about his works appearing in other media, and is actually a writing consultant on these. Brings the quality of writing up a lot.
The art's pretty decent, nothing to write home about but effective. Some interesting use of color that helps elevate it a cut or two above the norm. Way more detailing on the characters too, which I like, especially Decker's character.

Good stuff.

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Friday February 4, 2011 12:32 PM]]

- Renee Vivien

Message #339228 - This was a reply to message #335972
TheShadowlord

Friday February 4, 2011 3:13 PM
Apart from Hellblazer, I'm reading Star Wars comics. They canceled the rather decent KOTOR line, in favor of Legacy, which is crap. Crap characters, crap plot, crap designs of everything, crap plot twists, crap everything. There were maybe two minor characters that were worth thinking about. Otherwise, unmitigated crap.

Legacy is basically SW reimagined. Strictly, some 140 years or so after ANH, again the Sith have taken over the galactic empire (which reemerged and took over most of the galaxy) and the Jedi are being hunted down and killed. Enter Cade Skywalker, a moronic bounty hunter with mad force skillz, who somehow can use the Dark Side to heal people and makes a big deal about how he hates both Jedi and Sith and wants to do his own thing, which is basically every 14 year old's 'cool idea' about the guy who can be evil and a dick and still be the good guy because he's awesome. The big bad Sith is actually a Clone Wars veteran, and there are other CW survivors out there on he JEdi side. And we have Darth Fanservice. Yes, she really does dress like that all the time.

Dark Times, however, is great.
Pencilied by Douglas Wheatley, the best artist working for SW now (best technical skills and his melee fight scenes look like something that might actually work, unlike the painful shit that's been around for just about all other SW comics), and some pretty grim stuff.
This story follows Order 66 and the first few months of the Empire. It focuses on Dass Jennir, a Jedi who throws in with the first resistance to the Empire, but must flee and joins a group of small-time smugglers. Apart from the unfortunate Vector corssover (a crap time crossover focused on Force-made zombies), the story is great. It shows the desperation of people trying to recover from the CW and struggling under a new Empire that outright enslaves citizens. It has people doing really nasty stuff. Not just "I'm a Sith lord and will torture you off-screen to show how evil I am" nasty. The first episode has

*SPOILER ALERT*

a wealthy guy who buys other sentient races, and eats them. He eats the daughter of one of the characters.

Dark Times indeed.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #339231 - This was a reply to message #339228
TheShadowlord

Tuesday January 29, 2013 7:58 PM
Rereading Ranma.

- Stephen Roberts
 Message #341637 - This was a reply to message #339231
Avenging_Angel

Wednesday January 30, 2013 12:02 PM
I recently got a bunch of Hellraiser comics for super cheap, so that's been my evening de-stress after class - cup o' tea in my fancy zombie-lady mug, cozy couch, rain outside, and people's organs being turned into calamari sculptures.

We all have our rituals.

- Renee Vivien

Message #341641 - This was a reply to message #341637

Listing 71 to 80 of 80 Replies

PAGES: 8 4 5 6 7 8