PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 61 to 70 of 80 Replies

PAGES: 8 4 5 6 7 8
Avenging_Angel
RE: What comic are you reading now?

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday October 12, 2008 3:45 PM
QUOTED  Lol. In truth I've long been out of the light- I was just thrown by having such a reaction to Steve Rogers. Very weird, lol.

Good point. He's such a damn boyscout of a character it seems vaguely... wrong.

On the other hand, you did have all that IronxCap slash, (yes, I did read those links, and I am unashamed! ...mostly.) sooooo...

QUOTED  And try not to cry at the thought of Ryan Reynolds playing him in the Wolvie film...

Too late.

*sob*

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Sunday October 12, 2008 3:47 PM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #329620 - This was a reply to message #329619
Avenging_Angel

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday October 16, 2008 7:27 PM
Just finished Angel: After the Fall vol. 1 (issues 1-5).

Good stuff. I still like this series much better than the Buffy ones all around - the art I can actually tell who's who, the plot's great and far more in keeping with the show, and the character developments have been brilliant and you don't get the constant vague feeling that you're reading a fanfic. The dialogue's nice and sharp too, plenty of snark in keeping with the show. It's not as good as the show, but it's an acceptable substitute. Also, Groosalugg's reappearance was absolutely ace.

"I assure you, my glimmering hope is so large, it eclipses the sun and moon! Angel! Wesley! Oh, this is the day of days! Hell has been kind to you, old friend! And Wesley, I hear you're without mass! Good for you, always keep your enemies guessing! Un-Lord Lorne tells me you're going to re-die in grand final battle against evil incarnate. Let's see if I can scare up an arsenal that will prolong your existence for a few moments!"

Aside from the horrible, evil cliffhanger ending, an all-around win.

- Renee Vivien

Message #329715 - This was a reply to message #329620
Avenging_Angel

Friday November 14, 2008 9:02 PM
Reading Palestine by Joe Sacco.

It's... interesting. On one hand, I'm definitely impressed by the nerve the guy had to travel through such a potentially dangerous region to gather these stories, and I think it's good that the stories of the hardships and abuse the Palestinian refugees have endured are aired. The way he uses comics as a form of journalism is brilliant, and lends a whole new aspect to the events depicted.

On the other hand, this guy's blatant bias and sanctimonious tone gives me the constant urge to throw the book at the wall. If talking about a Palestinian, they "just" were throwing stones and Molotov Cocktails. On the other hand, if talking about an Israeli/Jew, they threw STONES and MOLOTOV COCKTAILS.

The abuses of the Palestinians who have their homes raided for no reason in the middle of the night are shown, but where are the people minding their own damn business when a suicide bomber hits the bus stop?

Ridiculous.

A good book, though.

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Friday November 14, 2008 9:03 PM]]

- Renee Vivien

Message #330090 - This was a reply to message #329715
ZombieKiller13

Ordo Aqua: Scholar
RK: 4
MP: 790

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday November 14, 2008 9:56 PM
I just finished the Walking dead, The Dark Tower, The Runaways, The Young Avengers, and the Serenity/Firefly comics. Now I'm waiting for the next ones in all those series' to come out. Oh did I mention it was the first time I have ever read a comic that wasn't a webcomic?
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake. = Still Alive - GLaDOS - Portal

If he gets up we'll all get up! It'll be anarchy! - Bender - The Breakfast Club

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
 Message #330091 - This was a reply to message #330090
Max

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,041

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday March 29, 2009 9:50 PM
Was about to post this in the Books section, when I remembered we had this thread.

Currently reading Watchmen. Pretty good, especially since it's really the first comic I've ever read. Or is it considered a graphic novel? Bah, they're all the same to me.

The only part that I'm unsure about is the whole Pirate comic section...I don't know why it was in there, or why the author decided to write another comic inside of the comic, but I'm sure a connection will come up at some point. At least, I hope. We'll see.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love softly, and with All your Heart
 Message #332230 - This was a reply to message #330091
Max

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,041

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday March 30, 2009 6:19 AM
Ended staying up until 4 in the morning, and I finished it. Can't say it was the most enjoyable piece I've ever read, but I think that because I'm still a little uncomfortable with the medium, I wasn't able to enjoy it as fully as I could have. I'm not used to reading comic books, and it's something you have to get used to, or at least it is for me. lol

On the whole, though, very good, and if the movie is still in the theatres somewhere I might try and catch it.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love softly, and with All your Heart
 Message #332232 - This was a reply to message #332230
Avenging_Angel

Monday March 30, 2009 7:41 AM
QUOTED  Ended staying up until 4 in the morning, and I finished it. Can't say it was the most enjoyable piece I've ever read, but I think that because I'm still a little uncomfortable with the medium, I wasn't able to enjoy it as fully as I could have. I'm not used to reading comic books, and it's something you have to get used to, or at least it is for me. lol

There may be hope for you yet, Limpy.

I could see it being a bit of an awkward introduction to comics, but really, you could have done so much worse. Now, go forth and continue your education.

Recently read The Killing Joke. The Joker in the hands of Alan Moore? Epic win. The art was decent, but the writing completely sold this one - though, I'd have preferred an ending that actually... ended.

About to start on the Serenity comics.

- Renee Vivien

Message #332235 - This was a reply to message #332232
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday April 2, 2009 7:52 AM
AFter years of waiting I finally got "Kabuki: Alchemy"

There really isn't any other way to describe David Mack's art and writing other than 'unique'.
Similar to Dave McKean in some respects, but I cannot think of any other story as involved and that delves as deeply into the psyche and development of a character as Kabuki.

I've been known to spend 10 minutes looking at a single page, just taking in the details. And it gets better the more times you read the series.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #332281 - This was a reply to message #332235
Avenging_Angel

Saturday April 4, 2009 2:45 PM
Recently finished Serenity: Those Left Behind and Better Days.

Both were extremely good - the writing stayed very true to the show, the art was good if not amazing (I could tell who everyone was without any trouble. Good start.), and the plots were solid. Those Left Behind is a must for fans of the show/movie, since it bridges the gap between them... quite amusingly, I might add.
Better Days is pretty much just a slice out of the show - if the pictures were moving, it'd be another episode. The intros written for each by Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin were quite entertaining, and the little history of the Firefly 'verse in the back of Those Left Behind was a nice little addition.
Also... is it just me, or does it seem like every time someone tries to tell Mal that the war's over, violence ensues?

Highly recommend both of them. Oh, and they're both as quotable as the show.

"Sir, it disturbs me that I'm inclined to agree with Jayne."
"... that makes two of us."

"Jayne, you yelling like that's only gonna make them want to shoot you more."
"How you figure?"
"Because it makes ME want to shoot you."

"Uh, Mal... didn't you shoot this guy the head?"
"No, you moron. The pound of metal grafted to my face, it's purely cosmetic."

"You kill me... what then?"
"I dunno. I imagine I'll get a hobby or something."

"Try not to drop god on me."

"When Joss Whedon gave me the chance to play a character called Jayne, the "Hero of Canton", I couldn't believe my luck. I'd never been asked to play a girl before, so I knew I was going to have to summon my inner hero, Carol Burnett."

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Saturday April 4, 2009 2:48 PM]]

- Renee Vivien

Message #332324 - This was a reply to message #332281
Novaximus

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

MP: 6,622

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday May 4, 2009 7:02 AM
I'm currently reading ..... nothing! It's a sad thing but after 20 years or so of being a batman subscriber I've cancled all my subscriptions. The artwork has been sub par (won't say horrible) and the stories have been either a. repetitive b. really far out there or c. non-supportive past, present and future plots

Maybe I'm just getting older and more picky?
± Sometimes to become great one must become small ±
 Message #332596 - This was a reply to message #332324

Listing 61 to 70 of 80 Replies

PAGES: 8 4 5 6 7 8