nanuk
RE: What comic are you reading now?

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,373

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday June 17, 2008 2:13 PM
QUOTED  Tony better be not a skrull.

Link if you want spoilers regarding whether he is or ain't.

They had pretty much hinted this answer anyway, but they've released this cover for Secret Invasion 6 that basically confirms the 3 depicted aren't skrulls.

Love this cover. Beautiful and shiny.

'SPOILER'??/theory

(... and a few issues of his own book back he stopped his heart and died- he'd have reverted to a skrull is he was one)
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

"You know what I'm saying."
 Message #326601 - This was a reply to message #326589
nanuk

Thursday June 26, 2008 6:59 AM
Just read New Avengers #42, and Ms. Marvel #28, and they were both great, really enjoyed them.

New Avengers is continuing the Secret Invasion tie in, and focused on one of the Skrull's posing as a hero, flashing back to what they've been doing over the past few months. It was really interesting, got to see some of what the Skrulls were thinking and got a few answers for a change- plus there were some sweet pre-Civil War Avengers moments (chocolate pudding in the bathroom...).

Unlike a lot of the SI stuff I actually found myself going 'ah!', instead of 'guh?'- it was quite refreshing to finish a book and have more answers than questions. Except for the end! That had me desperately wanting to know more, lol.

Ms. Marvel this month was like an unashamed action movie kicking the ass of the whiny, self-doubting chick flick that it's tended towards the last few issues, and with a great first line (T.S. Eliot/The Stand readers will be more than familiar with it, lol). She kicked hell-loads of skrull tush, it was fab. The art was good, she was drawn fantastically by Adriana Melo, and both she and inker Benes did a really impressive job with the coronas of energy surrounding a powered-up Miz Marv, really liked the look of it.

Very little story this month, just Carol getting her head out of her ass to go do her thing with great violence and aplomb, lol. Was great.
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #326742 - This was a reply to message #325502
nanuk

Saturday July 12, 2008 4:00 AM
Just read Invincible Iron Man #3 and Ultimate Origins #2.

Iron Man was really good, probably my favourite of the three so far because it was less obtuse, and Tony has actually sort of figured out what was going on. Plus there was some great Pepper-and-her-high-heels in it.

They're really drawing from the movie for some of the look- especially when he's flying, silhouetted against loads of blue sky.

Ultimate Origins I'm still not all that blown away by. I didn't think the first one was good at all, even though Wolverine was in it. This one was dealing with Ultimate Cap, and was a little better, but still not that great. Don't really like the art all that much, either, the faces are a bit off.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #327286 - This was a reply to message #325504
nanuk

Wednesday July 30, 2008 4:12 PM
Reading Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise, published by Abstract Studio.

Didn't like it at first- partly because there are no colours, lol- it seemed more like a soap to me than anything, could not figure out at all why it was recommended to me. But I persevered! Wasn't to hard given that volume one was only 3 issues..

Am, lemme see, about two thirds of the way through vol 2 and am quite enjoying it now. The characters and style have grown on me, and it got far more interesting than I would have expected, and went in a much more different way than I would have predicted.

vol 3 is about 90 issues so I have a fair bit to go, lol.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #327592 - This was a reply to message #325502
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday July 31, 2008 8:23 PM
Buffy the vampire slayer: Wolves at the Gates 1-4.

SPOILERS AHOY!

Just finished them and not really sure what I think.

First things first, the now-infamous Buffy-and-Satsu-one-night-stand. Feels like it was just stuck in there to emphasize the feminist themes and all that jazz and as such vaguely annoyed me because it was too out-of-character for Buffy. C'mon, Joss, we know you love lesbians, but that's just not her.

On the flip side, I absolutely loved Dracula's return. Manages to be a badass and hilarious at the same time, and he and Xander's interactions were hilarious. The final scene with him and Toru was brilliant - no question about who the real winner there was. Hope we see more of him.

Renee's death I didn't really care about since I didn't really care about her but I feel bad for Xander. I wish they'd hurry up and get into this Buffy and Xander relationship they've been hinting at for so long already. C'mon, guys!

Dawn and Mecha-Dawn was absolutely awesome, particularly Andrew advising her on how to kill it. Nearly died laughing.

Still don't much like the art, but the covers were all great.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #327617 - This was a reply to message #327592
nanuk

Tuesday August 5, 2008 4:23 AM
Just read 24 issues of Garth Ennis' Punisher (volume 7), under the Marvel Max sub.

Was only ever a passing fan of the Punisher, so didn't think I'd be too interested in this- especially as some of the art is really ugly- but, surprisingly, there's more to it than just a huge body count. The story's quite decent, and there are a number of threads picked up at various points throughout what I've read so far, though it covers 4 arcs.

Not too many recurring characters, but those there are are interesting and have a good presence (oh, O'Brien, you're so kickass). Most fably, great appearance from Nick Fury, hookers and all, which gave me my favourite moment so far- him taking off his belt and whipping a general for being a goddammed heartless idiot.

Yeah, liking it, despite finding it hard to believe that a 60 year old man is that hard (and huge! Talk about muscles..)

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #327694 - This was a reply to message #325502
nanuk

Thursday August 28, 2008 11:49 AM
Avenger-ing it up today, with the latest issues of Mighty, New, and The Initiative.
All three need more Black Widow.
Quite good, finally feel like I'm left with more answers than questions after the issues.

Initiative focused on Crusader again, the unknown Skrull in the initiative who's actually defected and is fighting against the Skrulls- especially when he learns Cap name checked him with Fury, aw. And Fury and his lot have resurfaced for the first time in a few issues, which is about time.

Mighty was again focusing on some of the infiltrators, this time ***-Skrull and *****-Skrull, and the various problems they had with programming the former. Quite good, decent enough art, very Leinil Yu-y but drawn by Khoi Pham (written by Bendis).

New was Illuminati-centric, and was quite interesting and mind-fucky. Actually ended up feeling sorry for Reed Richards, which doesn't happen often.

Enjoyed all three of them.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #328400 - This was a reply to message #327694
nanuk

Sunday September 28, 2008 2:11 AM
All the usual monthly titles, which I won't go into as I'm in a rush- and they've all kind of blurred together as Spider Woman is in a heck of a lot of them- but just wanted to say two things about Ultimates volume 3 issue 5;

1. Jeff Loeb, you continue to disappoint me and ruin a title I really liked. I hate you.

2. Ultimates!Cap... phwoar. Bigger about the neck and shoulders than any being has a right to be, and, yes, a 2D comicbook character, but sweet zombie jesus if I didn't have a little 'oh my! Heart's'a flutterin' at one of the Savage Land panels near the end of the book...

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #329333 - This was a reply to message #325502
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday October 12, 2008 10:49 AM
Read In Odd We Trust by Dean Koontz and Queenie Chan.

I'm not a huge Koontz fan, but I love his Odd Thomas books - a nice blend of mystery, horror, and a heart to them that a lot of stuff in the genre will miss out on. I also loved Chan's The Dreaming series, easily one of my all-time favorite graphic novels. So, you'd think they'd go well together.

You'd think.

It's not a bad book by any means. The plot's decent, the art's great (as if we'd expect anything less from the Queenie) but it just doesn't click quite right. I think part of the problem is that while Chan has great art, the manga look just doesn't quite fit Odd Thomas.
Very close to a hit, but just not quite.

About to start on a collection of Angel: After The Fall, vol. 1 that the library finally got in. Glee!

QUOTED  yes, a 2D comicbook character

QUOTED  'oh my! Heart's'a flutterin'

Welcome to the dark side of fandom. Lovely, isn't it?
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #329611 - This was a reply to message #329333
nanuk

Sunday October 12, 2008 3:34 PM
QUOTED  Welcome to the dark side of fandom. Lovely, isn't it?

Lol. In truth I've long been out of the light- I was just thrown by having such a reaction to Steve Rogers. Very weird, lol.

Reading bits and pieces here and there. Working my way through the Exiles so I can get on to the New Exiles, which has Psylocke in it- yay! Am enjoying the non-New Exiles though, so it's all good.

Also random bits of Thor- and I'd totally pay to see any show made on this premise.

Oh, oh! And the new run of Deadpool. Only three issues so far, and all set during the Secret Invasion, and they're just genius. I'm in pain at the end of each one from laughing so much. Read it! And try not to cry at the thought of Ryan Reynolds playing him in the Wolvie film...

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #329619 - This was a reply to message #329611

Listing 51 to 60 of 80 Replies

PAGES: 8 4 5 6 7 8