PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 31 to 40 of 80 Replies

PAGES: 8 2 3 4 5 6
Avenging_Angel
RE: What comic are you reading now?

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday May 15, 2008 10:04 PM
Just finished Marvel: 1602. Stumbled across this at the library, and they had me sold as soon as I saw Gaiman's name on the cover.

Absolutely fab series - loved the way they re-imagined the characters, loved the attention paid to detail in the historical setting and -loved- the artwork. Kubert managed to get the proper balance between between gritty realism and the comic aesthetic, which is hard to find. Lovely.
The story was great, though it left me wanting more - poor Cap'n, always seems to get the short end of the stick.

QUOTED  Why must Marvel insist on constantly 'reinventing the wheel.'

See, I'm of two minds on this. On one hand I agree with you - they've done more shaking up of the universe in the past decade, and it's getting to the point where it's downright ridiculous. The world being constantly in flux does -not- make for good continuity.

On the other hand, I do have to give them credit for being willing to try and change things around, shake it all up. I personally liked Civil War quite a bit, though House of M was pretty "meh" overall.

Damn you, Marvel. I can never decide whether I'm an undying fangirl or possibly want to murder you all in your sleep.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #325971 - This was a reply to message #325956
nanuk

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,373

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday May 16, 2008 9:28 AM
QUOTED  Just finished Marvel: 1602. ... Gaiman's name on the cover.

Read that a couple of years ago, loved it.
(Am such a div that I didn't actually get who Rohjaz was until the end, lol- though I'll choose to claim that it was the artwork & story distracting me...)
Particularly liked the Inquisition, Fury in basically the role of Walsingham, and Spidey dealing with yet more daddy issues.

Have been trying to get a hold of the follow up 'The New World' for a while but can't find it

Tony's in it, hee.
As a Spaniard!
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

"You know what I'm saying."
 Message #325978 - This was a reply to message #325971
Pillage

Ordo Aqua: Scholar
RK: 4
MP: 785

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday May 16, 2008 10:43 AM
Hey, I've just started this incredible old comic series, which is basically The Matrix if it were written by a Scottish guy on acid who has a Beatles album on repeat. If you need more clues, you have no business in this fine topic.

okay ... I'm sloshed off my tits right now, but I'll try giving a level-headed review of The Invisibles' issues I've experienced thus far (spoiler warnings for the first three issues):

First, I feel this needs a disclaimer. I have nothing against Scots - contrarily, I get along with them swimmingly. But I'm very drunk right now.
So there's this kid. I forget what's going on in the first place, but they're in a car. Driving it. Now the implication is that it's stolen, yet they have no clue how to operate it without crashing, which they do. Also one of their mothers is a hooker who gives him 20 bucks to go out and get a kebab for tea. So obviously, these kids are Scottish.
some other messed up things happen and he gets arrested. Also, every second word he says is fuck. Grant Morrison really drove home this kid's Scottish-ness. His name eludes me at present, but it's something like Dane or Jock. Or Rufus. We'll call him Rufus. I'm actually pretty sure it's Dane, but for this thesis' sake our protagonist is Rufus.
Now if I told you I forget everything that happens between here and him meeting a homeless man on the streets who becomes his spiritual mentor who is immediately bashed to death by English fops playing polo with his vital organs, apart from a correctional facility who want to castrate Rufus, the plot would be pretty nonsensical. Ah, but only compared to most literary fare. Compared to The Invisibles' first few chapters, this is a very accurate synopsis. Yet, this series is already incredibly deep. Every nonsensical loose end presented confidently insists it'll be sewn up later in a twist that mesmerises like no other comic has managed to. In Rufus' words, "It's like E, but this is real."
In the third issue, we see that Rufus' mentor, Tom O' Bedlam, has tricked the fops by letting them bash his coat for a while while he watched on, hiding. See, this is why they can conquer half of the known world but took a thousand years to deal with the Scots. Indians are too busy drawing six-armed dudes and writing about how to have sex to wear an orange coat and pretend they're just really hairy firecrotches.
Tom proceeds to teach Rufus about the cities, their likeness to the common virus and inherent spiritual power, then starts to beat the christ out of him for no reason. Then, he suggests they climb to the top of a skyscraper and jump off. Rufus still believes this old man is sane, nostalgically reiterating his cozy Scottish vibe. Issue Three ends.
Yet, each second blows your mind.

Many sources have told me that The Invisibles' ultimate aim is to actually change the reader. All of them personally concur this pursuit's success. Beside this, I'm told creator Grant Morrison actually got readers to perform a ritual where they gave energy to ensure the comic survived production until its end, involving masturbating and sending the sexual energy to the production's inherent life force. If that makes sense ...
Apparently, it worked. There are a great amount of mysteries around this comic, which I feel can only be untangled by personal opinion. My question, simply:
Who here has experienced this work? You see, you don't read The Invisibles, you experience it. And what advice can you give us about it?
hi iam new lol
 Message #325981 - This was a reply to message #325978
nanuk

Saturday May 17, 2008 3:20 AM
QUOTED  Also, every second word he says is fuck. Grant Morrison really drove home this kid's Scottish-ness.

Dane (Rufus) is actually a Scouser, lol. They swear just as much as Scots though so it's an easy mistake.

I read (as opposed to experienced) a couple of issues a few years ago but didn't really like it- I just wasn't in the mood for it. That and Grant Morrison, much as I liked his New X-men run, can be an incredible tonze.

I might give it another go. I hated Achtung Baby when I first heard it and then ended up loving it so who knows?

Managed to download 1602: The New World. Wish I hadn't bothered, very disappointing.

Besides the story not nearly being as almost-epic or interesting as the first, the art was muddled and unclear- I hate when I have to look at a panel for 10 minutes to figure out who the hell is doing what to whom, and where (not as interesting as it sounds). The one- no, we'll say two- thing(s) that I found interesting were Banner's portrayal, the idea of him being the bad guy and hulk being the far more moral and righteous one, and 'Lord Iron' (of course), and his history with Banner, although I didn't think that was as explored as it could have been.
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325983 - This was a reply to message #325981
marrs729

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,280

Wednesday May 21, 2008 8:29 PM
Hoping to get my hands onto Mighty Avengers 14. I'm liking the Secret Invasion bit, I also like the Civil War as well, and maybe not some much the House of M though. I've been reading and I think Cap is alive. And not a Skrull, know I have mixing feelings about this, Cap is okay, but I would have like that he stayed dead (at least as Steve Rodgers), BUT, on the other hand i wish things were back to normal, meaning Rodgers alive and well and the Avengers as one team.
Answer me anything and I'll question you truthfully.
 Message #326094 - This was a reply to message #325983
nanuk

Thursday May 22, 2008 6:39 AM
QUOTED  Mighty Avengers 14.

Read it this morning. It wasn't great, certainly not as good as the last couple. There were a few little 'hmm' bits, but nothing too staggering- and I'm getting a bit irritated with the Mighty Avengers not actually being in the Mighty Avengers, lol.

Also read Iron Man v4 29 this morning. Again not great. Just after finishing an interesting storyline with the Mandarin and the Extremis virus so this seems a little anticlimactic, though it's obviously sowing the seeds for the next few issues.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #326110 - This was a reply to message #326094
marrs729

Friday May 23, 2008 8:05 AM
I have yet to read it still, and I agree with you... Fury is cool and all, but where is that lovely Ms. Marvel and her crew? I suspect we won't be reading anything particularly exciting other than Secret Invasion (and tie ends) until it concludes. I still haven't had time to read Fantastic Four: secret invasion 1. And I hope they keep Anthony as Director of Shield after all this is over as well.
 Message #326144 - This was a reply to message #326110
marrs729

Friday May 23, 2008 8:07 AM
Im currently involved in Vertigo's Fables, (just now reading them). Quite hilarious in some parts, and its overly enjoyable and fresh.
 Message #326145 - This was a reply to message #326144
nanuk

Sunday June 1, 2008 6:50 AM
Just finished the 'Red zone' arc of Avengers volume three.

Quite enjoyed it- the art wasn't exactly consistent (Cap's face seems made out of putty, it changes shape so often) but I liked the story- a weaponised flesh-eating bacteria is released at Mount Rushmore and the Avengers have to try to help with rescue and control efforts, as well as finding a cure and figuring out who was responsible.

The fact that I like this arc has nothing to do with the fact that it has a very sqeeeeeseome scene where... aw hell, a picture says a thousand words and all-

Purr!

[[Edited by Silveran on Sunday September 28, 2008 4:51 PM]]

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #326341 - This was a reply to message #326145
Damien

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus
RK: 16
MP: 10,266

Tuesday June 3, 2008 1:52 PM
June 18th.

June 18th is a miserable day for comics. It marks the END of Garth Ennis on the MAX Imprint Punisher run. That was easily one of the best comics Marvel has published in the last decade, in terms of writing and storyline. It had its issues (much as I fucking swear, this mag had an unreasonable and totally unrealistic amount).

But it was just great. Damn it all. How am I going to get by without Ennis at the helm of Punisher?

And Dan Ketch is back, though not -AS- Ghost Rider. Fuckin' weird. I've been wondering where he was. I always liked him more than Blaze. Blaze was cooler as a post-possessed sidekick.
American by birth. Anti-Christ by choice.
"My god has a bigger dick than your god."

"Tolerance is the policy of those men who no longer believe in anything."
 Message #326388 - This was a reply to message #326341

Listing 31 to 40 of 80 Replies

PAGES: 8 2 3 4 5 6