PAGES: 8 1 2 3 4 5
nanuk
RE: What comic are you reading now?

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,373

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday April 25, 2008 9:09 AM
Think I'm going to cry... just read 'What if?.. Civil War', which I've been trying to track down for ages.

The first bit, 'What if Captain America led all the Heroes against registration' (in this reality the Extremis virus had killed Iron Man), though I really, really did not like how it was drawn, was pretty fab- because it showed Tony was pretty much right, lol.

The second half, 'What if Iron Man lost the Civil War' (but he didn't 'lose' in it, he and Captain America just came to an arrangement, mainly because this time Steve didn't have a weapon hidden when he pretended he was going to shake Tony's hand, grr) was much less annoyingly drawn, and absolutely heart breaking to read. Much lost Tony/Steve love

So, ah, very good, generally, but I really couldn't bring myself to dwell on the art in the first half.
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

"You know what I'm saying."
 Message #325749 - This was a reply to message #325504
Lich_Nexus

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,037

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday April 25, 2008 12:05 PM
Judge Dredd: Emerald Island... hey nanuk, the irish terrorists in this storyline have guns that shoot potatoes... hehe

EDIT: Post apocolyptic Ireland is a themepark... complete with a leperchan village and Celtland!

[[Edited by Lich_Nexus on Friday April 25, 2008 12:10 PM]]
Pierced from below, souls of my trecherous past
Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

The Classical Greeks were not influenced by the Classical Greeks!
 Message #325757 - This was a reply to message #325749
nanuk

Saturday April 26, 2008 5:21 PM
QUOTED  hey nanuk, the irish terrorists in this storyline have guns that shoot potatoes...

... I knew there was a reason I hated that comic, lol.
Bizarre.

Just read the 'Live Kree or die' miniseries from the Avengers vol. 3. Quite interesting. Remind me, should I ever become an Avenger, to never count on them to support me through difficult personal times, no matter what good friends I think we are- especially if alcoholism is my particular problem. They're really not good at looking after their alcoholics.
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325775 - This was a reply to message #325757
nanuk

Saturday May 3, 2008 5:53 PM
Am desperately trying to avoid re-reading Iron Man vol 3 and 4, at least until after I've finished Lost Odyssey- though with the new Invincible Iron Man (yay!) and Iron Man Viva Las Vegas coming out this week I should have some new stuff to tide me over... (and Adi Granov does the art for VLV!!).

Read Avengers: The Initiative issues 11 and 12 this morning- Iron Man finally showed up to take an interest in the programme that was supposed to be his baby, yay! Some potentially interesting things going on- want to find out what went on with Trauma, and am DYING to know who Mutant Zero is and see whether my suspicions are confirmed. They've said that when she's finally revealed it'll be someone 'who even people who don't read comics will recognise'- which narrows down the options but still remains interesting.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325848 - This was a reply to message #325775
nanuk

Thursday May 8, 2008 7:28 AM
Read Issue 1 of Invincible Iron Man. Fair bit of exposition in it so I'm not raving just yet, I'll wait till issue 2 to get really fangirlie about it, but okay so far.

Also reading Ultimate Human, which is basically Ultimate!Iron Man vs Ultimate!Hulk which, yes, is as fab as it sounds.

I'm kind of comme ci comme ca about the Ultimate Universe, like bits of it- Ultimate!Tony, for example, lol ("It's very important that I climb into my shiny flying metal pajamas of death in order to wrestle hopelessly with a biotechnological fluke who can chew through monster trucks now", and oh boy the goatee...), and Black Widow, and the fact that Cap just isn't quite as nice as we're used to- but dislike bits of it- Tony's backstory for example, and the fact that alcoholism is no longer just a 'personality flaw' but an understandable crutch for being in constant physical pain because your body is basically made of brain tissue. Like how the Ultimateverse tends to be drawn though, very strong lines and shapes, great colours.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325879 - This was a reply to message #325848
Damien

Contributor: Silver: This member has donated up to $50 to the RPG Consortium. Sweepsweek 3rd Place: Member has won 3rd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Lucidus
RK: 16
MP: 10,266

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday May 9, 2008 10:36 AM
Ah, comics. How I love thee. I used to be far more into comics as a kid, and slowly lost interest as I got older. I recently (within the last year) got into them again for a quick story and cool artwork fix. I still read novels and other stuff constantly, but I've returned to my love of comics.

That said, I actually just dropped (from my pull list) most of the mainstream Marvel titles. Fuck Secret Invasion. I'm sure it's an interesting read, but I have an attachment to many of the characters and the entire idea of some of them being Skrulls does nothing for me except piss me off.

Why must Marvel insist on constantly 'reinventing the wheel.' Changing characters around, etc. Civil War was stupid. House of M/etc was stupid. It's Dragonlance syndrome -- a giant, world-changing event after giant, world-changing event, after giant, world-changing event... ad nauseum. Stop it. And stop fucking with characters I like.

That said, there are still Marvel titles I'm reading until/unless they get infected by Skrull stupidity. I keep all the Wolvie titles (X-Force, Wolverine, Logan, Wolverine: First Class, Wolverine: Origins), although I'm considering dropping Origins because the artwork is sub-par and the story is all over the place and seems vaguely pointless and lacking any interesting continuity.

I also read Punisher Max, which is one of the best titles out there in my opinion. Speaking of best titles out there -- the new Thor rocks my socks off. I hope it stays free of the rest of the MU crap and just skirts the whole Skrull thing. I'd hate to see one of my favourite titles ruined.

Moon Knight is on my list as well. Decent. Just added Invincible Iron Man to see how it shapes up, because I dropped the current Iron Man title due to Civil War and all the idiotic story springing forth from it now. Ghost Rider rocks pretty hard right now too, even considering the new revelations about Blaze's powers and such.

Uncanny X-Men I'm sticking with for the foreseeable future. I like the story so far, but I'm not sure I'm digging where it's going.

Iliad is awesome. Too bad it's ending soon. But I've already added Three Musketeers for when that comes out. Hedge Knight II is a damn fine story. Lovin' it.

On the DC side, I only get Superman/Batman. I really like the storyline to that one, but I've never liked either character enough to bother with their various solo titles.

Dynamite has me hooked on Red Sonja, which has a great story and some killer art, and Zorro, which is shaping up to have the same. My only Image title right now is Spawn: Godslayer. I dropped Spawn years ago and never picked it back up - after he got the 'Earth Powers' or whatever, it just got stupid.

Top Cow's Darkness title is friggin' awesome. Probably their best publication to date. I'm thinking of dropping Witchblade, though. I really wanted to keep up with both, since the storylines tend to weave together, but I honestly don't like the dual-Witchblades thing, nor either of the characters at this point.

Dark Horse is still king for me -- CONAN! Best comic in history. And mostly with great artwork.

Grimm Fairy Tales is on my list as well. If you've never read it, get the TPBs. Great story. Inherently fascinating and well-told.

I occasionally pick up other titles, like the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms comics. But none of those grab me enough to stick with them. I mostly just buy them for cool fantasy art.

I've thought about staying with the new G.I. Joe comic - but it simply cannot beat the original.

I'm sure I'm forgetting more than one title here. I have a -lot- of comics on my pull list these days. I hope my April issues get here soon (I use a comic shop I found while visiting family in Florida -- they're just great, but it takes longer to get my comics and I only get one shipment a month to keep my shipping costs down).
American by birth. Anti-Christ by choice.
"My god has a bigger dick than your god."

"Tolerance is the policy of those men who no longer believe in anything."
 Message #325883 - This was a reply to message #325879
nanuk

Monday May 12, 2008 5:49 AM
QUOTED  [Posted By Damien on 05.09.2008 10:36 AM]

Zounds!

QUOTED  Why must Marvel insist on constantly 'reinventing the wheel.'

It is getting a little irritating at this stage- why they won't give people credit for having attention spans longer than a carp I don't know.

This morning read the first 3 (of 5) issues of Ultimates vol 3 (The Ultimate Universe equivalent of the Avengers). The story was a little... loose, a little odd (find the idea of a leaked tony Stark sex tape hilarious though), but I still like the style it's drawn and coloured (especially tony Stark and Thor), even if it's gotten a little slack because manga-style is, like, so trite and overdone now.

This volume, and some of the other Ultimate imprint titles, are leading up to the 'Ultimatum' (yet-another-)event which is, I think, due for December, or at least near the end of the year. I think the justification of it is supposed to be that the Ultimate Universe was originally intended to draw new fans to established characters without all the potentially daunting back-story/continuity history of the Classic MU, but now it's accumulated a fair bit of back-story/continuity of it's own. Seems a bit weak to me... but hardly surprising given B.M. Bendis is heavily involved with the line...

Also read Eternity Comics' "Edgar Allan Poe: The Tell-tale Heart and other Stories" from 1988- the other stories being William Wilson and The facts in the case of M. Valdemar.
Wasn't very good.
It didn't really do anything much besides recounting the three stories- visually they didn't try anything interesting and the drawing style was kind of clunky and unpleasant (very large chins everywhere), not helped by being in black and white.
Disappointing.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325911 - This was a reply to message #325879
StoicFervor

Ordo Aqua: Scholar
RK: 4
MP: 620

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday May 12, 2008 9:03 PM
Meh, so it's more of a graphic novel, but still.

Star Wars 30th Anniversary Collection: Vol. 5 Light & Dark

It follows Quinlan Vos as he attempts to infiltrate Dooku's inner circle, and also follows Aayla Secura as she deals with Vos' seeming defection since she used to be his Padawan. Unfortunately, it doesn't contain the whole series, much to my disappointment. Still a good read though.
'Sic vis pacem para bellum'

Sometimes I aim to please, other times I shoot to kill.

"Enemies are the price of honour."

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Honesty might be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.
 Message #325927 - This was a reply to message #325911
nanuk

Tuesday May 13, 2008 3:03 AM
QUOTED  Aayla Secura

This morning read the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy, collecting Ultimate Nightmare, Ultimate Secret and Ultimate Vision. Started off a bit slowly (and dingily) but was quite good- I enjoyed it despite there not being enough Wolverine/Iron Man/Black Widow.

It had the Fantastic Four in it- I haven't read any of their Ultimate line but they were surprisingly less irritating than their 'classic' selves, especially Sue, the little minx- and also quite an interesting take on Captain Marvel and the Kree, Carol Danvers, The Vision and Silver Surfer.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325930 - This was a reply to message #325927
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Thursday May 15, 2008 12:51 AM
Flipped through David Mack's "Kabuki: Skin Deep" again.
I say flipped through, because to truly do justice to the magnificence you should spend 5-10 minutes per page drinking in the art and details. If Uziel were still around he'd agree with me.

Now if only I can convince my local stores to get "Kabuki: Alchemy" for me. They've been terrible at getting "PS 238: No child left behind" I've been waiting for more than 6 months.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #325956 - This was a reply to message #325930

Listing 21 to 30 of 80 Replies

PAGES: 8 1 2 3 4 5