PAGES: 8 1 2 3 4 5
TheShadowlord
RE: What comic are you reading now?

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 14, 2008 2:37 AM
As I said over in Books, "Samurai: Heaven and Earth". My mistress might like this one.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #325569 - This was a reply to message #325537
Avenging_Angel

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday April 20, 2008 5:14 PM
Just finished 300 by Frank Miller. I have to say... I was seriously underwhelmed. It probably makes me a traitor to the comics fandom to say that I honestly think the movie was better, but... I still stand by my long-held assertion that Frank Miller is overrated. Not bad, certainly, but overrated.
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #325669 - This was a reply to message #325569
nanuk

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,373

Monday April 21, 2008 9:38 AM
QUOTED  I have to say... I was seriously underwhelmed

Agree. It's pretty and all but there's not a huge amount of meat or heft to it in terms of actual content.

Re-read The Secret Wars. The last couple of years Brian Michael Bendis has been skirting being interesting for what he's doing to the Marvel Universe, and just being a downright pain.

I get the feeling now he's just messing things around because he likes the irate reactions he's getting from Marvel fans- and considering just how fannish some of them are you don't actually have to be all that shocking to get a reaction out of them. Stop believing your own hype, Bendis!

Secret War, for example- not really all that shocking. Nick Fury always does whatever the hell he wants to, no matter who tells him otherwise, and always has his own reasoning behind it. It was still enjoyable, though, mainly because Wolverine and Spider-Man interacting is always enjoyable.
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

"You know what I'm saying."
 Message #325676 - This was a reply to message #325669
Avenging_Angel

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 21, 2008 5:14 PM
QUOTED  It's pretty and all but there's not a huge amount of meat or heft to it in terms of actual content.

That was a truly horrible choice of words, Nan.
As in bringing hideous images of all the Spartans to mind. Thank god they added the thongs in the movie...

"All I see are pork swords."

Ahem. Anyway.

Now reading Angel: After The Fall #5 by Joss Whedon and Brian Lynch.

I'm so glad they continued the show in comic format - after that horribly un-satisfying ending, it deserved it. And these comics are definitely a worthy continuation. Love what they've done with the plot, character developments, and there's some mighty snazzy art. I definitely prefer them to the Buffy season 8 comics, especially in plot, but art-wise too - at least in these I can tell who is who. Highly recommended to anyone who liked the show.

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Monday April 21, 2008 5:16 PM]]

- Renee Vivien

Message #325678 - This was a reply to message #325676
StoicFervor

Ordo Aqua: Scholar
RK: 4
MP: 620

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 21, 2008 6:28 PM
About the only credit I can give the comic version of 300 is that it went into a bit more detail about some of the other Spartans' backgrounds. Barely. Vaguely.

Not near enough to warrant the book over the movie.
'Sic vis pacem para bellum'

Sometimes I aim to please, other times I shoot to kill.

"Enemies are the price of honour."

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Honesty might be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.
 Message #325680 - This was a reply to message #325678
Max

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,041

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 21, 2008 7:10 PM
QUOTED  Not near enough to warrant the book over the movie.

And the movie wasn't good enough to warrant seeing in the first place.

Sorry, couldn't be helped. I don't read graphic novels, really. They've never been of much interest to me.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Live Hard,

but Love softly, and with All your Heart
 Message #325681 - This was a reply to message #325680
nanuk

Tuesday April 22, 2008 12:15 AM
QUOTED  That was a truly horrible choice of words, Nan.

Was it?
Was it?...

QUOTED  Now reading Angel: After The Fall #5 by Joss Whedon and Brian Lynch.

Have to track that down- read 1 to 4 the other day. I think they captured the feel of the show really well, and there are a few nice 'gasp!' moments, but mainly the whole thing just makes me feel very sad there wasn't another season, lol. Although, considering budget worries are now not an issue they're not exactly limited with what they can do.

QUOTED  They've never been of much interest to me.

Then sod off, you one-side-of-the-brain reader
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325685 - This was a reply to message #325678
Avenging_Angel

Tuesday April 22, 2008 9:15 AM
QUOTED  Was it?
Was it?...

Yes.

Yes it was.

QUOTED  I think they captured the feel of the show really well, and there are a few nice 'gasp!' moments, but mainly the whole thing just makes me feel very sad there wasn't another season, lol. Although, considering budget worries are now not an issue they're not exactly limited with what they can do.

Definitely. The Buffy ones didn't get the feel as well, but Angel was spot on. Though I agree - it's definitely better than nothing, but it's just not the same. It's like having a severe craving for chocolate truffles, but all you can get is instant cocoa. It's not that cocoa isn't good in it's own way, but... it's just not the same.

But, as I said - better than nothing.

QUOTED  I don't read graphic novels, really. They've never been of much interest to me.

Limpy, I'm disappointed in you.
Get thee gone from this place! We don't need -your- kind...

- Renee Vivien

Message #325689 - This was a reply to message #325685
nanuk

Tuesday April 22, 2008 3:33 PM
QUOTED  Yes.

Yes it was.

Was it?

Read issue 28 of Iron Man volume 4. WHY are they tormenting Tony so???!!

I swear the only reason they haven't killed him/he hasn't killed himself is because of the film. No one should be able to cope with everything he's had to go through the last year, and given his past emotional/personal problems there's no way in heck poor fragile Tony should be dealing.

Poor Tony.

Gah, I hate reading monthlies, it's so frustrating having to wait.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325701 - This was a reply to message #325689
nanuk

Thursday April 24, 2008 3:17 PM
Gah! Monthlies!

Just read Ms. Marvel number 26 and Mighty Avengers number 12, both of which I really enjoyed, and both of which tie in to the Secret Invasion event. I hate waiting a month to get a little tidbit of information. Oh it's frustrating!! I'm aching to know what's going on...

And even more galling, at the end of MA (this issue was all about Nick Fury, what he's been doing since disappearing after the Secret Wars fallout- more beautiful, hazy, Alex Maleev art) Fury is staring at this wall he's put together, that has photos of loads of the heroes, and some of them are circled in red, some in blue but you've no idea what that means!! Most likely is that one colour means Skrull, one not, lol.

I reckon red is non-Skrull, because of one member in particular- but either way I'm torn because there are people I like in each group! I know I'm going to spend most of the next month staring at that last splash page trying to come up with some insight into who's who and who's what. Infuriating!

Probably the only one who's safe not to be a Skrull is Iron Man, because if he was then all the annoying Civil War Tony-haters could go aha! And write his behaviour off as being skrully.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325742 - This was a reply to message #325701

Listing 11 to 20 of 80 Replies

PAGES: 8 1 2 3 4 5