PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 80 Replies

PAGES: 8 1 2 3 4 5
Avenging_Angel
What comic are you reading now?

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,290

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 7, 2008 10:48 AM
I've noticed there's been a lot of comics and graphic novels popping up in the "What book are you reading" thread, so they might as well have their own thread.

Just finished Okko: Cycle of Water by Humbert "Hub" Chabuel.

I can't decide whether I liked it or not - it isn't that it was bad per se, but I'm glad I didn't pay money for it. The art is absolutely wonderful, and it's fairly entertaining, but it's severely lacking in the plot, pacing, character development, and.. well, everything else. Large amounts of gore, boobs, freaky-looking monsters, action sequences, and nice artwork.
Basically, if you've never liked samurai movies, don't bother.

About to start on Alice in Sunderland by Bryan Talbot.

[[Edited by Avenging_Angel on Monday April 7, 2008 10:50 AM]]
Everywhere I go I repeat: I do not belong here.

Who will bring me hemlock in their own hands?
- Renee Vivien

Reality is an illusion that occurs with a lack of alcohol.
 Message #325502
nanuk
RE: What comic are you reading now?

Ordo Terra: Savant
RK: 8
MP: 2,373

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 7, 2008 1:10 PM
QUOTED  I've noticed there's been a lot of comics and graphic novels popping up in the "What book are you reading" thread

...what? This isn't my guilty face.

I'm also not feeling guilty about being on a complete Marvel kick right now, mainly, lol, anything that even mentions Iron Man. I'm bloody possessed. And the annoying thing is I never really liked him. Maybe Tony appeals to the older ladies, lol.

right, so as mentioned in the book forum I was reading Avengers reborn, which I just finished. Didn't like it. It was very disjointed and kept randomly throwing in elements that didn't gel and were just plain irritating (like two Thors. I'm not complaining about the idea- who wouldn't love twice the Asgardian love?- but it was random, initially pointless and silly).

I am just this second reading New Avengers #39, with a beautiful cover by David Mack. Give me a second to read it... okay, nice. It was Echo-centric, which is good (Mack's representations of her are my favourite, he gives her really beautiful lines and the handprint on her face is very striking and verging on iconic), she needs more attention. Drawn pretty nicely, lots of strong, black, ink-drawing reminiscent lines, and with some nice Wolverine-related gore in the middle, and a bit of walking-dead-man Hawkeye cuteness at the end.

Yes, good. I enjoyed.

I like the New Avengers at the moment. I get a bit sniffy about the Avengers if one of either Cap or Iron Man isn't on the team, lol, but I'm liking the kind of vibe they have going on at the moment. Also, since Civil War, they've regularly concentrated an iddue on just one character, and generally have done it well (Iron Man's during CW was my least favourite)- Hawkeye's in particular (#26) was beautifully drawn by Alex Maleev.
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

"You know what I'm saying."
 Message #325504 - This was a reply to message #325502
nanuk

Tuesday April 8, 2008 9:49 AM
Spent today catching up on some of the tie-ins to Civil War that I missed, and re-reading a few.

I've read 'The Confession' about three times now, and every time I do I get tears prickling away. Very nicely told and beautifully drawn by Alex Maleev- although it seemingly is almost solely responsible for the disturbing Captain America/Iron Man slash out there. (I use the word 'disturbing' but really, on a deep level, I mean, you know, hot, lol).

What really annoyed me about Civil War was how everyone- characters in book and readers alike- painted Tony Stark as the villain of the piece. It wasn't his fault! what else was he supposed to do? Stupid Cap. Sigh. I hope the whole upcoming Secret Invasion doesn't whitewash over everything that happened during the CW.
"Just imagine the headlines 'Howard Moon, Colon, Explorer'. Got a ring to that don't it?"

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325510 - This was a reply to message #325504
Orion

Ordo Aqua: Novice
RK: 3
MP: 564

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday April 8, 2008 12:23 PM
Just finished the last Cable and Deadpool
The hardest questions we ask, are the only ones we can answer~Orion

MySpace Url: For those who wish to know--http://www.myspace.com/elchupacabrakid89
 Message #325513 - This was a reply to message #325510
TheShadowlord

Ordo Ignis: Savant
RK: 14
MP: 7,202

Wednesday April 9, 2008 3:56 AM
Hellblazer. That's it, basically. Apart from numerous webcomics.
I feel happy...I feel happy!

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
- Stephen Roberts
 Message #325526 - This was a reply to message #325513
LibraRabbit

Sweepsweek 2nd Place: Member has won 2nd place in a RPGC Sweepsweek.

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,252

RPGC MAIL USER VISIT USER HOMEPAGE VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday April 9, 2008 5:47 AM
Also aside from web comics, I did recently re-read Kingdom Come. Normally I'm more Marvel then DC, but the artwork in Kingdom was beautiful. I have also been looking around at Civil War. Overall it seems interesting, but I haven't read all of it yet. Marvel Zombies was just odd. Although Ash was pretty amazing.
"The road to peace is paved with tolerance"
 Message #325527 - This was a reply to message #325526
nanuk

Wednesday April 9, 2008 8:09 AM
QUOTED  I'm more Marvel then DC

Ditto, apart from DC's Vertigo line.

Finished volume 2 of Iron Man, which was basically just 13 issues in the Heroes Reborn Universe. Meh. It was better than the Avengers Equivalent, but still got a bit odd in the middle of it (I know Marvel had outsourced it to companies run by former employees and then had some contract renegotiation disputes during the middle of it). Vol 3 was much better.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325530 - This was a reply to message #325527
nanuk

Wednesday April 9, 2008 9:46 AM
Ah crap, my neck just went into spasm.

Sigh.

Just finished the first three 'Young Avengers presents...'. The first one was focused on the Patriot (quite interesting, the idea of him being conflicted about bearing the name considering how black people have been treated historically), the second on Hulkling (needs a father figure, interesting but far from dramatic, lol), and the third one on Wiccan and Speed (very half hearted and futile search for there mother, but some Hulkling/Wiccan cuteness).

The drawing style suits the kind of stories and feel they go for, and the colouring is nice and sharp, so overall I enjoyed them.

I've heard New Avengers has been cancelled as a title, which is a shame as I quite liked them.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325531 - This was a reply to message #325530
nanuk

Wednesday April 9, 2008 2:48 PM
Just read Ms. Marvel #25. Fab.

Along with Iron Man she's my current favourite of the Marvel roster, and this was a good issue. Some nice personal stuff, a little A.I.M., some skrully goings on... infuriating because I have to wait a month for it to be continued!

I hate reading single issues!! I'm not good with delayed satisfaction! I'm really not! Ask my boyfriend!

T.M.I.?
Too much wine, more like. Oh yeah...

Grr I want to know what's the deal with Agent Sum and William Wagner... and that wiley Sarah Day. No way I'm trusting her.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325533 - This was a reply to message #325502
nanuk

Wednesday April 9, 2008 3:22 PM
Ass banditry.

This guy's a douche. I normally don't bother reading comic reviews, I read what I want to read and am not interested in unsexed nobs telling me what I should read, and I especially don't like reading comic (or any) reviews on AICN but thought I'd just check out what they were saying about Secret Invasion.

Half witted, less-than-half-informed idiocy, as expected. The whole point is that it's been tied-in and led-up-to in other titles, you can't ignore that fact and then criticise aspects of the book because it takes that into account and doesn't patronise the readers. Anyone who's been reading Marvel at all regularly for the last months knew that this was coming up, and knows that it's an 'event', it's not something that's going to be resolved in one issue. The 'suspense and mystery' that he decries as lacking has been] built up by several titles- the end of issue 24 of Ms. Marvel, for example, had me gasping- and we still really have no idea of what's going on-which is how it should be considering it's only the official start of the thing- which is plenty suspenseful.

Tonze. I hate comic reviewers.

"Colon Explorer?"

Message #325537 - This was a reply to message #325502

Listing 1 to 10 of 80 Replies

PAGES: 8 1 2 3 4 5