Discussions in Relationships (Love, Friendship and Family)
Moderated By administrator

Forums
RPGC Lifestyle
Relationships (Love, Friendship and Family)
The Mystery of Love
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: The Mystery of Love

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 30 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
Shallandra
The Mystery of Love

Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Aer: Savant
RK: 11
MP: 4,650

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 18, 2005 2:45 PM
Love - it really is a mystery (though some of you may think it's a myth or a misnomer!). It's something that we have all experienced at least once in our lives, and yet it's so hard to define.

Even the folks at dictionary.com couldn't settle on a single definition:

QUOTED  1. A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.

2. A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.

3. Sexual passion. Sexual intercourse. A love affair.

4. An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.

5. A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.

6. An expression of one's affection: Send him my love.

7. A strong predilection or enthusiasm: a love of language. The object of such an enthusiasm: The outdoors is her greatest love.

8. Love Mythology. Eros or Cupid.

9. Often Love Christianity. Charity.

10. Sports. A zero score in tennis.

How do YOU define love? Are there different types? Can it truly exist in its purest form? And WHY do we "fall in love?" Do we have any choice over who we fall in love with? Why do we fall for certain types of people, but not others?

Shed some light on this mystery, eh?
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti

"Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet." ~ Chinese Proverb

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." ~ G.K. Chesterton
 Message #286370
lonewolfe619
RE: The Mystery of Love

Sweepsweek 1st Place: Member has won 1st place in a RPGC Sweepsweek. Contributor: Gold: This member has donated over $50 to the RPG Consortium.

Ordo Terra: Novice
RK: 6
MP: 1,123

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday December 18, 2005 11:39 PM
I think love becomes so hard to define because there are so many levels to love. The way you love family (if you have family worth loving) is different from the way you love a mate, which in turn is different from the way you love friends. Simply put, and I've seen people get pissed off at this responce, love is just an emotion.

I think the other reason it can be hard to define is because it's different for various people.

I guess the best way to put it for me is this. Love is being around someone for the simple joy of being with them combined with a willingness to do anything for them just because it would make them happy, as well as having the ability to offer forgiveness whenever it is needed.

QUOTED  And WHY do we "fall in love?"

I'd have to say that this came about because all too often, love does hurt, especially when it's not reciprocated. Not only that, but sometimes it just hits you.

But in all seriousness, this is another one that's all based on point of veiw. Frankly, I still search for an answer to that one myself.

~~Something I just thought of answering the next question. Most of the good relationships I've been in, we didn't 'fall in love.' They started out as friendships first and it grew from there.

QUOTED  Do we have any choice over who we fall in love with?

I say yes, for the most part. We all have a preferences, and generally speaking we look to them when searching for love. I look at my two most serious relationships and the females are very similar, I'm sure in more ways then my current mate would like to admit.

Although, I guess if you believe in love at first sight, you wouldn't have much of a choice now, would you.

QUOTED  Why do we fall for certain types of people, but not others?

Again, it's all preferences. I wouldn't want to be with a woman that thinks love is her being my slave or vice-versa. There are certain things about people that we like and it attracts us to them.

QUOTED  Can it truly exist in its purest form?

I've typed and deleted about five answers to this now. God's love is a pure love, but I'm torn on whether or not we can show that kind of love.
BOOOO! Did I scare you?
 Message #286947 - This was a reply to message #286370
Novaximus

Ordo Ignis: Scholar
RK: 13
MP: 6,622

Monday December 19, 2005 6:18 AM
My abridged definetion is

Love - an emotional attatchment or interest on an intense level.

[[Edited by Novaximus on Monday December 19, 2005 6:19 AM]]
± Sometimes to become great one must become small ±
 Message #286961 - This was a reply to message #286947
teutonicknight

Ordo Terra: Scholar
RK: 7
MP: 1,567

Tuesday December 20, 2005 1:33 PM
Love, like any emotion, is extremely difficult to define/pin down with one thought. As an emotion, it really doesn't make sense, it just is. I think Wolfie got it pretty close:
QUOTED  I guess the best way to put it for me is this. Love is being around someone for the simple joy of being with them combined with a willingness to do anything for them just because it would make them happy, as well as having the ability to offer forgiveness whenever it is needed.

That's about as close as I could ever come with words.

The bottom line is, I think, that love induces us to do things for others to benefit them for no reason other than we want to help them.
If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!

Commander in the Glitterqueens and General of the mighty Puchuu army!

Der Comicstein!
 Message #287021 - This was a reply to message #286961
Shallandra

Wednesday December 28, 2005 7:17 PM
I agree that love is a feeling of sorts - but it's also an action. If someone tells me he loves me, but then doesn't behave in a loving manner, I'm going to begin to question the authenticity of his love (assuming that behavior is a regular thing).

Sometimes I wonder if I really understand what love is. Sometimes I look at the way my dogs love me and think "that's the purest form here on earth." Sometimes, I wonder if someone can give love if they don't really know how to receive it.

And sometimes, I think of that song "Love Stinks!" (Kudos to whoever can name the band - it's driving me crazy that I can't remember!)

I agree that we can have different kinds of love with different people - but I think we can have different kinds of love with the same person. Love deepens, love is tested, love is playful, love is commitment....all different experiences - but all necessary with the same person in order to be something of lasting value.

As for the mystery of "meeting the one" - it *really* annoys me when people say "oh, you'll just know." Bah - know what? Know how?

And what it is about springtime that makes everyone wacky for love anyway? (Yes, I know it's winter - but wait - not for our Aussie pals - they must be out lookin' for luuuuuvvv!)
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." ~ Mario Andretti

"Do not remove a fly from your friend's forehead with a hatchet." ~ Chinese Proverb

"Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." ~ G.K. Chesterton
 Message #287321 - This was a reply to message #287021
Novaximus

Thursday December 29, 2005 5:51 AM
QUOTED  And what it is about springtime that makes everyone wacky for love anyway?

It's all in the mind. Spring time brings about positive chemical brain mixtures for most. There's a little bi polarism in all of us.
 Message #287332 - This was a reply to message #287321
Shallandra

Thursday December 29, 2005 6:54 AM
What - ya had to post twice just to make the point about being bipolar??

Message #287338 - This was a reply to message #287333
Novaximus

Thursday December 29, 2005 7:06 AM
ha ha ha. Yeah...sure. It was all intentional.
 Message #287340 - This was a reply to message #287338
teutonicknight

MP: 1,567

Thursday December 29, 2005 1:14 PM
QUOTED  Sometimes, I wonder if someone can give love if they don't really know how to receive it.

More importantly, you have to love yourself before you can love someone else.

How can you expect anyone else to love you if you don't love yourself. You know yourself more than anyone else.
QUOTED  As for the mystery of "meeting the one" - it *really* annoys me when people say "oh, you'll just know." Bah - know what? Know how?

I don't think there's just "one" out there for us. I believe that we can pick up on other peoples' auras, and when we find one that resonates with our own, we can feel that. Somewhere in your mind you get excited or happy just being near that person.
QUOTED 
QUOTED  And what it is about springtime that makes everyone wacky for love anyway?

It's all in the mind. Spring time brings about positive chemical brain mixtures for most. There's a little bi polarism in all of us.

I guess I should move to the southern hemisphere, then. I feel like finding someone more in late fall/early winter than any other time of year.
If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!

Commander in the Glitterqueens and General of the mighty Puchuu army!

Der Comicstein!
 Message #287348 - This was a reply to message #287321
Dogar_Setton

MP: 1,868

Friday December 30, 2005 5:06 PM
heh, this reminds me of a theory I had in high school ( read; when i was angsty, bitter and fretfully virginal ) that love was simply oxygen deprivation.

Think about it, two wacky teens get in close, making out, huddling down with faces almost touching, breathing in each other scent. Eventually you feel lightheaded, giddy confused; everything seems fuzzy and warm, like your looking through a window smeared with lime jelly. Golly gosh Susie-Q I think I'm falling in love with you!!!!

And then you fall to the floor and brain yourself on the coffee table, gasping for breath. Love shmove, sucker, those blood stains on Susie's mom's new Berber carpet will end that relationship before you can say "awkward groping at the Homecoming Dance".

But anyway, I believe that puppy love is mostly chemical and instinctual, two people brought together during the pheromone soaked mating season by the recognition that the other has delectably child-bearing hips or formidable cougar-strangling hands. After that though, it enters into real love; which is a combination of friendship, loyalty and intellectual interest, with a side dish of wildy salty lust thrown in too keep things from becoming blandly Platonic.
"I am that dog, I am that monster, I am that post-industrial post-modern crypto-fascist politically incorrect male cocka-rocka warpig..."

-Abraham Peter Kurtz, "Dreamcatcher"
 Message #287398 - This was a reply to message #287348

Listing 1 to 10 of 30 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3