Page: | 1 | 2 |
My first experience with on-line gaming was with WebRPG.com. They had a Java Chat program that allowed you to roll dice, perform actions, and actually run a game in one of their rooms. However, the Lag Monster caused many problems, and the ST eventually moved the game to IRC.
It has been over a year since I began using IRC for gaming, and thus, I will impart some of my travels to you, the reader.
To use IRC, you have to first download a client software program off the respective website. Most programs are free or shareware. The most typically used are:
- mIRC, the most popular (http://www.mirc.co.uk).
- Pirch, my personal favorite (http://www.pirchat.com)
- vIRC, my former fave until they stopped updating the code (http://www.cnet.com/Content/Reviews/Compare/Chat/ss03h.html)
- and IRCLE, for you Mac users (http://www.ircle.com).
After you download a client, it is HIGHLY recommended (especially if you are using mIRC) to download a copy of NukeNabber (http://www1.zdnet.com.au/swlib/Communications/Networks/000S5Z.html) to prevent any pesky nuke attacks that cause you to reset your computer. This may require upgrading of some of your Windows files.
The first task after installation is to set up your connection. You need to select a primary nickname as well as a secondary one if yours is not available on the network. You also need to enter your email address, which becomes part of your connection identification.
Okay, the next thing to do is to connect to a network of servers, called a Network. Most Clients provide you with a good list, but you can also add networks and/or servers by editing your files. If you're looking for gaming, my suggestions are (in order):
- Magicstar (Straight RP, no sex channels)
- Dreammyst (same as above, but a bit less populous)
- Sorcerynet (been told there are games on it)
- Bloodties (One large World of Darkness game)
- DalNet (lots of channels, but you have to find them)
- Undernet (lots of channels and hard to connect to sometimes)
If you know of others, let me know.
Page: | 1 | 2 |